Battery Fire!

I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about battery chemistry and the possible hazards posed in their use. However I got caught out yesterday.

I very rarely charge my batteries at home, instead I charge while at the field. Yesterday I decided to maiden a Zohd Dart Extreme XL, and as I intended to just do the maiden flight and come straight back home (health reasons) I decided to charge a single 3000mAh 4S Nanotech pack at home while I got everything in order for the maiden.

The pack I was using had only three previous charges to its name, had not been abused, and prior to charging all four cells were at 3.8Volt. I started the charging process, charge rate set at 1C (3Amp), balanced, and got on getting my gear ready, at no point did I leave the room.

After about fifteen minutes I started to detect the faint whiff of warm plastic. I went over to the charger to find one of the cells of the battery extremely swollen and the heat shrink wrapping smoking. I quickly pulled the battery off the charger and ran out into the garden with it. I threw it some distance from me and before it hit the ground it flamed up violently.

This has been quite a rude awakening for me, as in the past when Iā€™ve heard similar stories I was convinced that it was human error. An example would be one of our club members thought that to charge at 2C you doubled the voltage. He ended up burning his conservatory down. Here I thought I did everything right. I physically checked the battery, looking for any signs of damage, checked the pre-charge voltage, even checking the internal resistance, and all checks indicated a 100% healthy and safe LiPo battery.

My lesson learned here is to never assume the best but expect the worst. Even though I followed my own strict charging process I count myself extremely lucky that I still have a roof over my head, and though I followed my own strict charging routine BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN!

I know that some might suggest I should have used a LiPo safe charging bag. I think if I had I would not have been alerted by the smell of warm plastic, and the LiPo would have detonated on the bench.

4 Likes

Welcome to the been thereā€¦change the underpants club.!!!
Sirprised myself that I could move so fast :rofl:

2 Likes

Just glad to hear you caught it in time Nidge and you managed to get it out without damage or injury to yourself or your home. As fpv season is upon us, this is a timely reminder to us all to stay alert and aware and to not leave the room when charging our batteries even if pre charging checks pass ok. Thanks for the warning Nidge and stay safe everyone :pray:

6 Likes

very luck in deed mate. was the battery old or fairly new. what ever we should all be careful. when charging.

I would say it was maybe just over a year old and had only been used three times, lightly. It was the last thing I bought from Hobbyking before the UK warehouse closed.

Here are its remains.

2 Likes

Blimey what a mess knowing them it could have been a few years old you did well too throw it. Its a reminder to all .

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know.

Its a rare occurrence and its important to make sure we remember it can happen as its so easy to become blasƩ about it all.

Iā€™ve just managed to make a 4S 1350mAH battery into a rhombus shape. Time for that one to goā€¦ Iā€™m not even going to try to use it againā€¦

1 Like

Couple of years ago I decided to dust off my pre-DJI Hubsan 501s / recharge itā€™s batteries, prior to sale.
Appeared to charge OK using original balance-charger, bit swollen, didnā€™t think much of it (ā€¦duh :woozy_face: ). Thought Iā€™d carefully stick a pin in each (carefully/sidewards) to just nick the PVC-sheath & let ā€˜whateverā€™ outā€¦next thing Iā€™ve got a couple of batts whooshing black smokeā€¦ingress of air must have set it off - only just managed to get them outside :scream:

! Never again - slightest bulge in any (DJI) batt, no more ā€˜fixingā€™ ! Incidentally, what do you do with ā€˜bulging battsā€™ - bit unsafe to just dump in nearest batt-bank (esp. if itā€™s in-store as opposed to a Council skip) - apologies if an answer has already been suggested.

1 Like

Glad all worked out for you @Nidge :+1: :+1: :+1: - guess it serves as a good reminder to us all - expect the unexpected. Fortunately your alertness saved the day.

1 Like

Discharge them safely. Easiest is in a bucket of salted water in the garden for several days. After down to very low voltage per cell I take them to the tip and put them in the battery skip.

1 Like

Or the canal :rofl:

Wow. I must get better with my charging then. I too assumed if you did checks and werenā€™t silly itā€™ll be fine ā€¦

Actually saw my first lipo fire 2 weeks back at drone circle, but that was me donating a battery that had the previous day taken a slide down the willington towers and didnā€™t look good. Donated to some kids who charged a 4s at 8s voltage. Tbh think they got to 28V before it went!

2 Likes

Sounds like I have been and still doing it all wrong. I donā€™t understand about or why itā€™s needed to check volts befor chargingā€¦ Ive been charging mine by going by the coloured lights on the chargerā€¦ Have been doing that for all me rechargeables.
Recently since advised by not a pretty boy. I only fully charged for immediate useā€¦
Think I stop charging and going out for the dayā€¦

2 Likes

Very very happy to hear all is well and no was injured.

You threw that on the roof of something.
:rofl:

Bottom burping moment I can imagine. :scream:

1 Like

I put it on the roof of my garage so my cat wouldnā€™t try to ingest the remains while I scrubbed the scorch marks off the patio.

As all th battery components were rendered inert the remains have gone in the bin.

1 Like

Thanks for that hot :face_with_hand_over_mouth: tip, sounds most useful!

Jeepers - what a lucky escape. Thanks for sharing and a welcome reminder!

Our council starts a collection battery recycling scheme this week. Small i.e. not car batteries, can be left.out in small clearly labelled containers, like an old margarine tub. To be left on top of the recycling bins, not in them. One of their few good ideas.

1 Like

Scary stuff! Glad it all worked out ok.

Question: I am new to all this but for a previous hobby I used LiPo batteries and used a fireproof charging bag when charging them. Do you guys use / recommend a charging bag for charging Drone batteries?

1 Like

I think I wouldnā€™t have noticed my Lipo was about to fail if it was in a ā€œchargingā€ bag as it was the smell of cooking plastic that alerted me. I do use the safety bags if Iā€™m transporting LiPoā€™s with other items that could pose a puncture risk.

3 Likes