Bird attack

Altitude is king with bird attacks - go straight up. Descending is the automatic reaction but a definite no no. I also tend to use sports mode to get away from birds but they can be very persistent.

6 Likes

Thanks for the info much appreciated

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

Hi, I have seen a lot of posts stating that stick on eyes can help as many birds are more weary when they think the drone is looking at them, not sure if it actually works but might be worth a try.

5 Likes

Thanks very much might be worth trying

Not rare at all, I had several oysteer catchers after me yesterday while filming at a wedding - Lochside House Hotel & Spa - Videos by Drone - Grey Arrows Drone Club UK Several times, while down by the River Clyde in Glasgow, I’ve had to land due to gulls.

2 Likes

As per other replies, altitude is king, so always fly with a bit in reserve so you can go up up and away without upsetting the powers that be too much. Birds tend to dive down or sideways and will generally break off an attack if the object goes up, giving you time to fly to safety. They must have been protecting a nest or territory, I have flown at the seaside and come under attack from seagulls, yet was at Great Yarmouth beach at 5am and they werent even interested. You never know when or if its going to happen so always keep an eye out and leave some reserve height.

5 Likes

The eyes haven’t worked for me, tried them a few times by the seaside and a sport mode climb works far better

My Mavic pro has been attacked several times on the River Thames by Gulls and also in Northern Italy at Portovenere.

I dodged for s bit by stopping sharply and generally flying erratically, then went up and they gave up.

Quite scary at the time. I thought they were thinking “lunch”

1 Like

Thanks, the height thing seems the main consensus of opinion

I had similar problem with an oyster catcher a couple of weeks ago, everytime I went over the mud flat it would take off and circle my drone getting closer and closer until I flew back over dry land.

and i thought it was only me haveing the problem,as i.m tring to get more confidence in flying the dji mine 2. i had only been up two minutes and a flying rat ha ha kept buzzing me i gave up in frustration

1 Like

And then there’s me…I was flying and saw a crow chasing/mobbing a buzzard. I gained altitude and tried to film it from above. Not sure if it was just luck but as I approached the crow went one way and the buzzard buggered off as well.

Decided to go for an evening walk along the prom to a travelling fair to get some shots. Managed a bit of video and 360 before the gulls appeared. The drone was at 200’ but they circled well below it, just above the fair. I guess they’d heard it but confused by the noise of the fair.

Usual tactic, sport mode drop. As it dropped they realised where it was and targeted it, luckily didn’t get too close. However, one gull followed the drone to me and flew at me screaming within inches of my head. Even with the drone off and out of sight, it made a few more sweeps at me as I walked back down the prom.

1 Like

Dangerous marlarky this drone flying innit :smiley:

1 Like

Getting some footage of Morecambe Bay cocklers, was not to be…

2 Likes

Hopefully this will give you all a laugh.

I say don’t get mad get even! Play them at their own game!

They don’t like being chased that’s for sure lol

1 Like

A bird strike crashed caused my DJI Mini 2 to crash. The birds were circling the drone for about 1 minute, then I suddenly and massively increased altitude, and they didn’t follow. I was bringing the drone back to land and the flock collided with it, causing a loss of control. :frowning: I don’t know what type of birds they were.

So don’t ignore the warning signs…

1 Like

Was just returning from a mapping mission and was descending to land when I noticed a large Buzzard making a bee-line for my Mini 2 - this is the ensuing evasive action !!
It was definitely foxed by flipping to sport mode and going up, but it tried to keep up with me until I’d reached a lower level :fearful:

1 Like

Video or it didn’t happen :wink: