Bloody weather! ... and flyability

It’s rather easy to see why the beach-cams I was monitoring as the hurricane approached haven’t started working again yet.

1 Like

And we Brits moan like fuck when a tree gets blown over and blocks the road for a few hours.

We have the majority of our domestic power supplies underground - the US, and I’m sure that area too, have most above ground (ugly as shit they are too!). Rght on the coast in tourist areas it might be a bit tidier - but the winds ravaged inland for a considerable distance. The burden on the utilities people generally will be crazy.

1 Like

G_20221001_1942182

Another major factor is Florida’s average elevation above sea level which is a mere 6 feet.

And in many places, it is just 3 feet :fearful:

:cry:

1 Like

G_20221003_1914362

The main causeway connection to the significant Sanibel Island resort.

Ectricity and water supplies were probably routed along this, too.

1 Like

Should be open by the end of the month

We are due to call in there in December - still very much up in the air

Hi guys im just back from orlando it was a scary time 1st time being in a hurricane in 14 years of going

1 Like

Just bloody typical…

Nothing more to say. First time i can fly in 3 months and the lovely autumnal weather changes to typical British summer…'kin rain on Saturday!!!

Just for a change, here’s a pic of rain seen from my kitchen window…

Some superb during/after footage of Hurricane Ian, including some great drone footage …

Surprised @clinkadink wasn’t out there trying to get another speed record…

You’d think that by now they’d have learned how to construct buildings to withstand this kind of weather without falling apart and spreading debris everywhere, or getting flooded.

I’m not sure I’ve heard of the central west coast of FL getting hit be a hurricane - let alone of that strength.

… but, I’ve been visiting friends in Alabama and, whilst their house wasn’t hit, the tornado that went through their local town, just 3 miles away, left a bare earth strip about 50m wide, and nothing much left standing within the next 200m either side.

I recall my friends waking me at 2am and telling me to hurry as we were going to the local bunker. Went outside and it was just a typical UK winter night. “What’s the hurry?” I thought.

The drive back at daybreak was quite astounding and horrifying!

The next time I was there and they woke me I was first in the car! :rofl: … not that there was any damage that time.

1 Like

At last got to watch the whole of that YT.

My goodness … that’s square mile after square mile of total devastation.

Look at that YT I posted earlier. The place is going to be a huge mess until way after December.

Probably very right.

We are now staying a bit further north where little damage took place.

30 minutes away looks totally different.

Trying to fly in a straight line this lunchtime, with a fair bit of crosswind !

2 Likes

I think the Sepang MotoGP weather is outside my house …