Bloody weather! ... and flyability

Wish I had a drone with me…

1 Like

I have mine with me But !!!

UAV forecast shouldn’t be “believed”.

It says gust of 29mph where I am … just 1/2 mile from Southampton Airport.

Their weather station gives no gusting …

… and my weather station (on my roof) gives …

… for today.

1 Like

That may be at 0fsl, at say 150fsl it could be gusting, your weather station says 20.9 max(at roof level)so probably gusting higher at a higher level.

1 Like

Obviously the two problems with any weather forecast are the fact that it covers a wider area than ‘where I’m standing’ and the fact that anything other than a report on what’s actually happening now is an educated guess… and the further ahead it is, the less well educated. But I have to say I’ve been pretty impressed with UAV forecast - every time it’s told me it’s going to be gusty, the drone’s complained about the wind…

I’ve not used UAV forecast since my drone got blown away, but I have to hold my hands up take part of the blame. I now only use ventusky and https://aprs.fi/ for actual weather stations in real time.
Today I am working from home, which actually means finding a nice spot with good mobile reception and sitting in the works van, and of course somewhere nice to fly during lunch.
Today looks a good day, little chance of rain, light winds and maybe even some late sunshine :slight_smile:

This afternoon four separate weather apps reckoned it was sunny at my location…

I give up on them, I just look out the window :smiley:

1 Like

Likewise, I kept waiting for the sun and gave up in the end.

2 Likes

Storm Otto is to blame apparently

@clinkadink chris, you going for some speed ? :dash::dash::dash::dash:

I think that true for the north and Scotland, that storm is coming from the northwest, Iceland region.

Whereas the winds in the south originate in the southwest, the mid atlantic.

The wind is currently gusting above 70 mph around Aberdeen!

Would love to if work allows.

2 Likes

Not sure how accurate Airdata is, but it’s showing gusts, wind for the next 2-3 days, in the south

Got a slight bit of green at 18:30, that’s if this is correct :see_no_evil:, get a few days off work and this is what the weather deals you :confused:

Whoever’s in this region … just send it !!!

1 Like

People of the north - get your cameras and drones ready!

As @Newt_Glasgow proved last evening, you can capture the Northern Lights with a drone.

@group-scotland, @group-northwest, @group-northernirel, @group-northeast

3 Likes

I’m all ready, but at the moment totally overcast here.

1 Like

NOT … if you go high enough. :wink: