BMC - The Burns' Month Challenge 2022 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

It will soon be February which is neither the best of months for good flying weather nor is it noted for its long, light evenings. You are probably best indoors, in the warm, looking through last years videos and pictures and planning trips for this year.

Or you could put those images to really good use by entering our simple month-long competition.

Watch the video to find out how:

The wee video above should have been self explanatory, here are the important points:

• The competition runs from 00:01 Tuesday January 25th 2022 to 22:00 Friday February 25th 2022

• Your task is to create a film illustrating the subject of “My Area”

• The film must be between 30 and 180 seconds long

• You may use your own existing images or images especially taken for the challenge, either all still or a mix of still and video.

• You may use illustrations, documents and other people’s images, subject to copyright.

• There is no requirement for any of the imagery to have been taken by drone although, of course, aerial pictures are welcome.

• A minimum of 30% of the content must be still images animated by use of the “Ken Burns effect.”

• Entries should be uploaded to Vimeo or to YouTube and the link placed on its own line in a post in this thread.

• Once the competition is closed GADC members will be able to vote for their favourite until 22:00 on Dogzilla’s birthday (Friday March 4th).

• The winner will be the person whose video has accrued the most votes.

Have fun and create something wonderful!

E&OE
6 Likes

I don’t want to seem churlish or appear to be a gammon but why are we celebrating an American practicioner of Animatics rather than our own, home grown 100% British Ken Morse?

From Wikipedia:

Ken Morse (born c. 1944) is a British rostrum camera operator who has provided visual effects to BBC television programmes over several decades.[1]

Ken Morse worked as a cinema projectionist from the age of 12 for about 10 years.[2]

Morse joined the film industry in the 1960s, working originally in stop motion animation before moving to the rostrum camera. The British Academy (BAFTA) presented him with a Lifetime Achievement award to recognise his contributions to the industry over nearly forty years. He is based in Shepherd’s Bush, London, England.

Morse has been mentioned in several British sketch shows: The Fast Show listed his name in a spoof set of credits; and Big Train included a sketch about a rostrum cameraman driven mad by always being overshadowed by Ken Morse. The one-off comedy special Clinton: His Struggle with Dirt (produced by Armando Iannucci) credited ‘Rostrum Camera’ to “Not Ken Morse”. He was also credited for ‘Rostrum Camera’ in the spoof credits for The Diary of Anne Frank, a sketch in the first series of Monkey Dust. At one stage the credit “Rostrum Cameraman, Ken Morse,” was even used on the spoken credits of the popular satirical BBC Radio show Week Ending.

Let’s have a Ken Morse Month!

.-. — … - .-. …- – -.-. .- – . .-. .- -.- . -. – — .-. … .

1 Like

Okay then! Lets kick this off with a video of my area.

8 Likes

Thanks Steve ( @McSteamy2010 ) for kicking this off - and setting the bar high!

1 Like

Nice one Steve :+1: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

We take your point, Rob (@macspite ). But unfortunately we Brits may be first or best at things but the Americans claim the credit :frowning: We have to admit though of not knowing of any documentary series written and filmed by the redoubtable Ken Morse whereas Ken Burns has created several very highly acclaimed films in his career.

Plus we liked the sort of symmetry of starting Burns Month on Burns Night - find us a Morse Night that also occurs in the winter months and we will consider the name change.

Why a night in winter?

As Steve Valentine has shown above, it’s easy to select some previously taken pictures and assemble them into a great looking video. The competition was designed to fill the dark hours of long nights - or the slightly less dark hours of short, rain-lashed winter days - with a chance to look over all your existing images and decide how to make a coherent story from a selection. The pictures you use don’t have to be aerial shots by the way. The subject - My Area - is deliberately vague - it can cover just your street or town or the whole of the British Isles as long as you can show some affinity with it through your video.

In the words of the sainted Ian Dury:

Now that we’ve had some let’s hope that there’s lots more to come …

Thanks John, Hope you find the time to do one, We all know you have a stunning collection of stills. :heart_eyes: :wink:

1 Like

Cheers Steve. I’m half way through one, throwing one together in-between wedding video editing :+1:

1 Like

Video moved back to the top

2 Likes

Superb Steve, I’ll need to book a holiday down your way!

1 Like

Mr-Burns-Saying-Excellent

That is awesome mate :clap:t2:

Very kind sir, Had fun making it. :+1:

1 Like

Wow. Amazing! Nicely done mate :clap::+1:

Thanks Chris :+1:

2 Likes

The first video is no longer viewable? Is that deliberate? Can’t tell from the rest of the thread chitter chatter.

1 Like

The first video from @McSteamy2010 you mean?

Yes, he replaced it a couple of posts further down.

1 Like

My bad’ I had a tidy up of my YouTube channel and probably removed that one :person_facepalming:t4:

Awaiting some competition guys :smiley: Don’t make this easy for me :crown:

giphy

It takes time to craft a masterpiece …

1 Like