Brand new drone operator!

Hullo there, I’m Robert. I live near Ayr on the West coast of Scotland. I have ordered my first ever drone which is due to be delivered to my door on Monday and I can hardly wait!

I did a lot of research on what drone would be best for me, and I finally opted for the DJI Mini 2 with the fly more pack. Although it’s not required with the mini, I have nonetheless registered as an Operator/Flyer with the CAA, passed my test and paid my fee.

Any tips you folks have for total rookies would be greatly appreciated!

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Robert and welcome to GADC.

My tip, sign for DJI care refresh, and find a big field.

LOL! Great advice thanks :slight_smile:

Aye, this was a point also advised by one of the YouTubers I have been watching and so as soon as my mini 2 (I have decided to rename it BD4 before the first flight) arrives, I will be using the app to sign for the DJI care refresh, but will hopefully not need to use it! :flying_saucer:

Peace of mind for the less than a £1 a week ;o)

Good luck, post some video and photos

1 Like

Hey @Windswept, welcome to the club. I’m sure you’ll find plenty of advice and much more here. It’s a great club.
Bye, Ayr is a lovely part of the world! I used to live not too far from there about 20 years ago. I didn’t have a drone back then, but if I was going to say of a place to test it, I would say Ayr Beach. Go near Pitate Pete’s and just find an empty space. Then try get the hang of the controls.

Once you feel a little more confident, I would check the amazing coastline. The water so clear from above would ale some very cool shots. Maybe Greenan Castle or near Culzean Castle too. Please use dronescene website for more details as where it is ok to fly.

The only thing would be to keep in mind the prestwick flying path as in this screenshot. I hope this helps and happy droning.

Thanks for the great tips! I actually live in Drongan, a few miles outside Ayr, and I’m already salivating at the thought of drone filming in the areas you suggested and more around this part of the world.

Yep, living so close to Prestwick airport means extra care and attention, and so I’ve downloaded all of the map apps to help me with the airport and other fly restriction zones.

1 Like

DroneScene does the lot

1 Like

First of all welcome to GADC, Robert!

I’d say like others have said find a big field and get practising, I would also say to take out accidental/damage cover with a company such as Photoguard Insurance (https://www.photoguard.co.uk/)

Lastly, enjoy your new hobby and if you have any further questions, just ask them there is no such thing as a stupid question here

Hi Robert, Welcome to GADC :+1:

Great site! Perfect for planning my flight before I go out for the day :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve had a quote from the link you provided. It was VERY reasonable. Do I need to take this cover if I have the DJI care refresh? Are they both different things?

1 Like

I would say Photoguard is better than DJI. They are similar but DJI gives only two replacements which make DJI care seem to be expensive for what you get back

Thanks Drum! :slight_smile:

I have done so now!