The speed limit - FPV and Racing Quad Style - Discussion

By size I’m talking the number of cells/voltage, not capacity.

Many FPVs are available in 4S or 6S versions - the main difference being in the voltage the ESC and motors are designed for

So am I lol

Thats exactly my point though, youre unlikely to be running a 5" quad on 2S battey for example

This would seem to make sense to me, too.

While it may at first appear to give rise to a plethora of categories (6 batteries x 6 prop sizes = 36), realistically speaking your probably not going to see a 1S 10" or a 6S 3" (*) so there will be a certain amount of natural wastage.

* Unless someone is desperate to get on the board, I suppose. :laughing:

Surely another factor to consider (not that it affects me) is the maintenance required to update the leaderboard :man_shrugging:

Someone’s on Thread Clean-up duty later :rofl:

2 Likes

I suspect entries may not be as often as you may think - it’s fairly rare for the smaller drones to be sold with GPS already fitted. Of the six FPVs I own only one came with GPS already installed ( Chimera 7 ), the others I fitted it myself.

2 Likes

The current leader board has 30 different entries and only 5 of those are fpv style quad/wing. The other 25 are “high street drones” as Rich put it. If its split into cell count/prop size categories I dont see there being more than 25 fpv categories. Sure it will be busy to start with but once people start finding the limits of their quads it will slow down like the current board

2 Likes

The hardest part by far is going to be verifying peoples entries. Without a standardised way (like AirData) its difficult :man_shrugging:

What about video? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Maybe I’ll add my wind5 speed :+1:t2:

:rofl:

2 Likes

Thats definitely one way but if you have sats drop out while doing a run it can dramatically skew the gps speed.
Also for DJI users you cant get dvr footage with speed recordings on the display currently

I use screen recorder.

Still won’t have the OSD on it.

Some FPV systems e.g. DJI don’t record GPS data in the video - the Betaflight OSD data ( inc. GPS ) is passed from the flight controller to the goggles OK, but isn’t recorded in the video, hence all the messing around I did with the onboard Blackbox recorder to extract the necessary info.

Lay off the beans Dean! :joy:

Fine on a phone, not on FPV goggles

1 Like

Ah, get it, my bad.

I understood that DJI FPV will sync with AirData. Feel free to correct me if that’s not right.

If this is the case though, why can’t it be …

if (DJI or Non-FPV)
 provide AirData
else
 provide video

The DJI FPV drone will, the DJI Air Unit and Goggles don’t

Either I am being a div, or I am missing something here.

If the drone will sync to airdata, then that is all the evidence needed. No video (or any other format) would be necessary :thinking:

Youre talking about the DJI FPV Drone Chris. Thats different to FPV quad using the DJI Goggle system

1 Like