British Airways flight from Stockholm came within 50ft of smashing into a Drone

British Airways flight from Stockholm came within 50ft of smashing into a DRONE 8,000ft over London as it landed at Heathrow, report reveals:

WTF type of drone can fly at 8000ft ? :open_mouth:

An imaginary one.

5 Likes

Most of them

WTF kind of pilot can see a drone at 280mph

5 Likes

Well if sat in a cockpit you would if it was THAT close…

Mine has flown at 10,000 ft near the top of Etna.

4 Likes

I disagree.

280mph = 400ft / sec - and most claim 400ft is pretty much the extent of drone VLOS … even if you know it’s there. So from invisible to having passed you in 1 sec.

If you managed to see it during the last part of that second, I very much doubt you’d know what it was that you thought you’d seen.

5 Likes

giphy

4 Likes

It MUST be true, it’s in the Daily Mail!

Unfortunately there is probably a fair proportion of Mail readers who will read this and accept it as gospel :frowning:

7 Likes

My favourite comment!

3 Likes

@FPVUK has been known to comment on dubious airprox reports involving drones from time to time…

1 Like

It’s clearly a mixture of parallax error with a much lower altitude manned aircraft and confirmation bias after a pilot’s gotten it into their head that drones are a serious collision threat.

2 Likes

““The University of Dayton simulated a collision in 2018 by shooting a drone out of a cannon into a plane wing - tearing the wing up with its spinning propellers.””

How did they manage to fit a drone in the canon with the propellers spinning let alone fire it out of a canon without it being ripped apart.
As anyone who has wached the video knows, the drone was broken up before being put in the air canon, plys the eing was from a light aircraft and only a section of it meaning the structural integrity was already compromised.
Sensationalism again.

1 Like

… covers a multitude of sins in aviation testing :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I struggle to believe that the pilots could absolutely positively identify what they saw as a drone. (I am a retired former military and civil pilot with over 47 years experience.)

I agree they could well see something but to be certain it was a done, not a model aircraft, a bird, one of these metalised balloons is stretching it in my opinion.

2 Likes

Probably some kids birthday balloon escaped from Spoons beer garden.

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t see how that is a 100% possible !
Just gets us all a bad name again !
Oh and we’re are all these ufo’s they’ve suppose to have seen over the years :man_shrugging:t2: ……
Lsd makes you hallucinate right ! So can tiredness :thinking:

I liked;

A lucky escape, that drone could have been completely destroyed. Some of them are really expensive. Plane drivers should be more considerable and not to land their jumbo jets so close to people’s more prized toys

3 Likes

Extract form the official Airprox update page …

It may seem far fetched but the Airport Board are obviously taking it seriously :man_shrugging: