BVLOS?

But it would have to be failsafe, deploying no matter what.

That’s what I’m thinking. It’s legal to see a tiny speck 500 metres away, but it’s not legal to fly with a perfect fpv view of surroundings. Even with all round proximity sensors. I know which way I’d rather fly.

That’s been in DJI drones since the Mavic Pro!

So why not have smart systems that alert you, the operator, if anything enters your airspace, say within 5 miles. That gives you almost a minute to get out of the way. We have AIS at sea, which is very effective at reducing collisions.

In a double fault situation?

Did you never see this summer '18 video?

Still, by far, the best example of intelligent RTH I’ve seen.

(Apologies to @colinbm for always using this as an example - but it’s still awesome!)

2 Likes

Pilot error + something. Yup - they do that. :+1:

1 Like

An octo drone may be able to suffer a double failure. But nothing is guaranteed. Not even from Dji

Don’t need to go to Octo - Hex have good motor/prop redundancy.

But you’re into A3 with all of them.

1 Like

You’re also into £££ with all of them.

We’re a very long way away from consumer drone technology that would allow you to fly at distance and keep you/others legal or safe. Sad but true…

1 Like

Oooh no. I’ll watch that later when I’m not trying to make a Shepherd’s Pie at the same time!

2 Likes

Thinking more of something catastrophic + something else! :rofl:

Surely, by the definition of “catastrophic” … that’s a gonner. :see_no_evil:

Haha! I realised how stupid that was as soon as I’d typed it!

1 Like

Ah ok. So @ash2020 do you mean sub 250g?

Ships are a lot slower than planes.

1 Like

I don’t believe, they would ever get all round collision avoidance into sub 250g, unless batteries become featherweight. But anyway, the 250g limit is irrelevant if you design a drone that is incapable of injuring anyone.

Maybe an rc helium blimp. That could be an option.

Or beyond the bounds of reasonable probability of injuring anyone. So when it falls on you, it’s got a parachute and the props have already stopped.