Can I fly a drone around Tower Bridge?

What about flying there with a mini2? CAP722
doesn’t say you can’t fly along the eli path even if you should be really cautious.
What about TOAL and mini2? it shouldn’t be a problem for take off or landing using common sense.

I found this thread because I was curious to know the answer to this question. The available information is ambiguous, so it’s difficult to be certain. Then you read a thread like this and see a number of replies suggesting the OP was dumb for asking the question in the first place. I really wonder why people post answers like that… they completely devalue this resource with their unkindness. No matter how obvious you think the answer might be, why not provide a helpful answer… or keep your own counsel. Remember, we were all beginners once.

3 Likes

Well, the answers may change now anyway as the regulations are different in 2021.

If you have a PfCO or Operational Authorisation, then you may or may not be able to fly here depending on what your OA actually says. Unless you have an OSC allowing you to fly close to people, then the main issues will be the standard separation distances which are 30m during TOAL and 50m during flight, under UKPDRA01 (see CAP722 for details).

For any flight to the west of the bridge, this is in the City of London restricted area where you need to apply for special permission to fly a drone. Unless you’re a commercial operator, you’ve got pretty much no chance of getting permission, due to the risk assessment details required.

To the east things are very different. You are outside the restricted area, and in theory helicopter flights should not come below 500 feet. You can fly a small drone in Open A1 under VLOS up to 400 ft in this area with no required separation distances, the same as every other unrestricted area in the UK. The chances of flying under Open A2 are realistically nil as there won’t be anywhere you can guarantee 50m horizontal separation to uninvolved people.

I don’t know whether the PLA or local authorities have any byelaws in place.

However, the reason you see many negative responses above is because it really is not ok to just rock up and hang your hat on a simplistic view of the legalities. This is busy, congested airspace, and there may well be helicopters flying below the normal floor level, especially police. VLOS for approaching aircraft is restricted by nearby buildings.

Regardless of separation distances, you’re still legally required not to endanger people or property, and to be able to cease the flight if there is any risk to aircraft, people, environment, animals or property. It’s for you to explain how you can do that, not for anyone else.

You can also expect and should not be surprised if the police stop you regardless of the law. It’s a high-profile location with major security concerns. “Some bloke on the internet said it was ok” will get you nowhere.

4 Likes

I can’t even seem to drive a van round London without picking up some sort of fine

3 Likes

Thanks for the additional info. Your read on it is the same as mine.

I maintain that the snarkiness of some of the other replies is unnecessary. The original question simply asked this community if it was possible to do something. It’s a good opportunity to explain the difficulties of doing it.

Thanks again

3 Likes

Hi,

I am trying to find some information but it doesn’t seem clear enough as there is much different information. If I take off from east of Tower Bridge it is legal? I have a DJI Mini 3 Pro, it seems like a clear area without restrictions, other than 500ft and everything

3 Likes

Contemplating a flight near Tower Bridge (London) with my Mini 3.

Flight obviously operated under A1.
From what i can see the restricted helicopter area and other airspace restrictions terminate at the bridge and do not apply to the eastern side.
I’ve seen reports the “Specified Area” east is a helicopter restriction only and does not apply to UAS (this was on this forum somewhere in a CAA email)

I can see a few potential TOAL locations that might be suitable - one appears to be at or near “Hermitage Memorial Gardens” which on street view etc seems quiet and provides good, clear VLOS to the bridge itself.
Anyone know what council and/or permissions might be needed there? What about the foreshore?

Am i missing something or is a simply, short distance, low altitude flight directly over the Thames, remaining east of Tower Bridge legal?

1 Like

GTMonster

Aug '20

Even with a PfCO, you’d need justification for the flight especially when in the heart of a major city… Just because you wanted to is not a good reason if anyone questions you.
Without a good reason, you will struggle getting permission to fly in the area, so good luck being insured.
Not to mention your pretty much bang on 5 miles from an airport.

My advice is that unless you want to be in the papers and on TV for all the wrong reasons, I’d not advise it! London never sleeps!

1 Like

That simply isn’t true at all any more.
You don’t need airspace permission for a Open A1 flight to the east of the bridge - the airspace is clear.
You’re outside all restriction zones. “bang on” isnt true - its outside. Its either in or its not and in this case it is not.

No permission is needed to fly - my question is entirely about take off/landing and operation. Either from the park mentioned or if not, the foreshore.

No justification or airspace permissions are required at all - its open airspace there.

Sorry but you’re regurgitating old rules from the pre EASA categories about congested areas that don’t apply to Open A1 in that precise location provided the bridge isn’t crossed. (and fwiw PfCO was replaced by GVC a while ago so isn’t really relevant either here).

2 Likes

Your inside the London CTR

1 Like

That makes no difference to SUAS flights.
You’re perfectly allowed to operate within CTRs.

Its outside the restricted area and helicopter routes where you cant operate.

3 Likes

You’re outside the restricted area, but the heliroute continues downriver to the east from here. So you still need to be especially alert.

I’ve been told of people making successful drone flights here from the north river bank footpath. It would be good to hear how you get on.

1 Like

The heliroute continues eastwards but above 500ft (the total exclusion zone is to the west of the bridge).

Realistically this would be a lot altitude flight, no higher than the bridge top no more than 100m from the operator location.

Main reason for this post was to ask for potential TOAL locations as i’ve never been to the area at all so have no idea of the actual layout, geography and so on.

Having reread your question, I can see your point of view but having checked the drone scene app, either location beyond eastwards of the bridge and including Hermitage riverside gardens your still inside the central London CTR which is a no fly area for drones, highly congested and for security reasons. To fly over the river Thames you need to seek permission from the river authorities to do so, around 3 weeks in advance by all accounts.
Many a drone operator has flown over and around tower bridge in the past, night flights also.
If your gung-ho about flying inside central London seek permission from the relevant authorities. The screen shot I’m posting is from the drone scene app

1 Like

1 Like

That isn’t actually correct.
The restricted helicopter corridor terminates at Tower Bridge.
“London CTR” covers the whole city and isn’t relevant - its perfectly legal to operate a drone within a CTR/ATZ/TMA.

So it’s not a no-fly zone. This has been confirmed by the CAA - the City of London special area and 2 helicopter routes ARE prohibited zones but again they terminate at the bridge.

You also do not need permission from the river authorities to fly over the river. That is not and never has been the case.

Ignore the drone scene app - its showing “the specified area” and no more than that. The CAA themselves have confirmed SUAS flight inside this particular “specified area” is legal.

You can’t fly inside R157,158,159. But those aren’t this side of the bridge.
R160 (the area you quote) specifically deals with single engine manned aircraft only. ( https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2018-11-08-AIRAC/graphics/43863.pdf )

Specifically R160 is:

" Except with written permission of the CAA ( 01293 567171) a helicopter shall not fly over this area below such a height as would enable it, in
event of an engine failure, to land clear of the area. See also ENR 1.1, subs"

CAP722 describes the restrictions ( CAP 722: Unmanned Aircraft System Operations in UK Airspace - Guidance)

Its not gung-ho to fly where its legally permissible to do so and you don’t need to seek permission to fly in areas which have no permission required to fly.

My question entirely is about valid TOAL locations not the airspace. The airspace itself is 100% legitimate and legal for flying. Im entirely comfortable the airspace itself is legitimately open for use.

2 Likes

Not to be confused with an official CAA flight restriction zone (FRZ)

Just found this thread:

Has details from the CAA confirming the above - R160 applies to helicopters only (whereas 157,158,159 do specifically apply to SUAS).

4 Likes

If it was me, I’d TOAL from the riverside path at a suitably quiet time. But I think your only other option is to contact the relevant council asking: is the footpath on their land? And if so, do they have any byelaws or stated written policy affecting drones?

2 Likes

The “girl dancing with a dolphin” statue on the north bank has been used as a TOAL location before, from details in one of the FB groups.

1 Like