Can I use my Mini 2 for building inspections?

Hi GA’s,

My manager has found out that I have mini 2 drone and has asked me the question if I am able to fly my drone to inspect, take footage and images of guttering/downpipes of buildings that we maintain to check for blockages, leaks etc (all Cambridge University buildings and the building owner has given permission to carry out if required)

I am not sure if I can do this so thought I would seek advice from anyone who would kindly assist me.

I have operators and Flyer ID, so is this something I can do with my Mini 2 or do I need further qualifications?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can do that with the M2, the only thing extra you would need is commercial insurance.

This can be bought by the hour.

4 Likes

Many thank as usual @milkmanchris for your prompt response :+1:the other issue I have is that I work I Cambridge and I went on the drone scene app most of the buildings are within a blue circle that is inside the restricted red circle as per attached images. Would i still be able to fly in this area or do I need to contact CAA or someone if I cant?

Thanks

will have to get permisson from them in blue circle and the airport as your really close to it ( specify the time and how long the flight will be and what your going to do etc ) that i think you need to do not 100% sure though!

Thanks for advice :+1:

1 Like

In dronescene, deselect the layers until the restriction you want to check isn’t overlayed by other restrictions. Then you can click on the blue circles and ds will tell you what they are.

I think they’re NOTAMs informing people that a UAS flight is logged between 7am and 7pm today. Something you need to be aware of but not a show-stopper. The other restrictions probably are though, without proper permissions.

Hi @Crackerjack

Thanks for response,I turned down layers but as it in a red area in still not 100% tbh, dont want to get in trouble for something I’m not upto very knowledgeable with :man_facepalming:
It’s crazy as we would use a MEWP which would higher that the building, think my manager is thinking a method to save money and time.

Thanks again.

The flight is within a no fly zone (within 5km of an airport) you would need to contact air traffic control for that particular airport and ask for permission to fly there at a given date and time. Sometimes they will have an online request form. You will need to explain the reason for the flight. Then they will either say yes or no.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirmation, this is what I thought.

Thanks again

1 Like

Cambridge Airport is yet another not on the Go 4 app. :thinking::thinking: