Can you fly a drone when its raining?

Of course you can indoors!
First flight indoors- you need to change your settings, but you can fly with no GPS just vision sensors, ISO to 3200.
Hope the client is happy with this

Any feedback as to video appreciated

https://youtu.be/06_02YkcJf8

2 Likes

There are very few drones that will fly in the rain and survive, unless someone knows different :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

The waterproof SwellPro “Splash Drone 3” most certainly can be.

I’m sure @jamesb will be able to provide evidence of that ability soon. I mean - it’s always raining in his part of the world. After all - that’s why he bought it. :wink: :+1:

1 Like

As soon as I figure out how to use the camera equipment and download vids etc I will post :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

2 Likes

My PowerEgg X can fly in the rain, it has a waterproof housing and pontoons for water landings and take offs.

I’ve built a few drones that I have no issues with flying in the rain. As long as the primary electronics are kept dry, say in a small Tupperware container mounted to the frame, then the rain is not an issue. Brushless motors work even when fully submerged.

Nidge.

2 Likes

Can you? Why, yes of course.

Should you? Well that depends **. :rofl: :rofl:

** how deep are your pockets, how brave are you to test it, etc, etc!

2 Likes

By my reckoning, light rain shouldn’t be that bad.

Not recommended, and certainly not as thing to do regularly, nor in torrential rain.

• Motors are brushless.
  • Battery contacts are almost the most “exposed” item of concern (particularly on the MP). But tape over the gap between battery and body at the front of the battery (contacts end) and you’re pretty safe. Taping over the gap at the rear prevents any accumulation under the battery.
  • The camera is pretty well sealed. Silica-Gel is your post flight friend.
  • The cooling fan doesn’t shift enough air to suck in rain … perhaps some fine spray. Just leave the drone on afterwards so that the fan comes on and passes air over the warm components and dries things out. (Not sure mini/air have a fan?)

Flown in foggy conditions a lot without issue, even though it’s come back really wet. The pics have been worth it. :+1:

2 Likes