Cant believe it

Is it me being a new be or have I been had over?..
Just ordered a 1300mah 4S battery and its turned up with a XT60 plug on in stead of a 30 .

I was in a rush when I ordered it so looking at yhe plug I thought it was a 30 …

But checking on the website it doesn’t say wot it comes with and theirs no where to specify what you want anyway?? …

You’ll struggle to find a 1300mah with an XT30 on it due to its size.

1 Like

Scary soldering time! :pray: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Hmm that don’t bother me as iv just cannabised a 3S one so have the plug.

I just think iv been had as a lot of companies don’t have battery’s in stock and the ones they do are the ones they can’t shift :thinking:

And the C rating, at 1300mAh it probably discharges at 130A. :tired_face:

1 Like

Mine are all 1300/1500 and all came with XT60s. As @Steviegeek says it’s likely down to the discharge rate.

1 Like

Ok just watched this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MkBpT8jGr4&list=WL&index=16

So are you saying a 1300 battery is only for bigger quads with a XT60 ???..

A quad with an xt30 would be around 3" props? An 850mah seems more suited.
1300 4s is a 5" freestyle typically drawing 100a. So you need an xt60.
What size quad is it for?

Its for a Iflight Protek25, the weight isn’t a problem as Iflight say you can strap a naked go pro to one…

But thinking about the cable on the battery is thicker than the quad which is not good :slightly_frowning_face:

That doesn’t mean it will drag more current than the esc(s) can handle.

It just means the “capabilities” of the battery are larger than the requirements of the esc(s)

1 Like

No you haven’t been had over. XT60 is pretty much standard, especially on that size of battery. If in doubt check with the shop first.

1 Like

It should be okay as long as the battery will physically fit okay. It’ll definitely be on the heavy side, though. I think it’ll fly better with the recommended battery.

With the XT’n’ connectors the ‘n’ denotes the nominal current handling capacity of the connector

XT30 = 30Amp
XT60 = 60Amp
XT90 = 90Amp

There is a degree of overlap with the three variants.

In the RF world I always went by the idea that a physical connection is not always a good electrical connection, and similarly an electrical connection does not make for a reliable physical connection.

The more physical connections you have the greater the voltage drop from between the source and the load.

Example 1.
I used to fly my mid sized Hexacopter with two 5200mAh packs wired in parallel (10400mAh) using a ‘Y’ lead and XT60’s. Once in the air I could see via the telemetry data that my Voltage was sagging significantly. Once on the ground I could feel the wire of the Y lead was warm, and asses that the voltage drop was across this wire, as the wire was not of a suitable gauge for the job in hand. So instead I wired the three XT60’s direct to one another and the result was a much lower sag in voltage.

Example 2.

I have two identical IRC Vortex 150 mini quads. However one has a XT30 connector and the other has a XT60 connector. I fly them with identical 4s 1080mAh packs, but one has a XT30 and the other, obviously, has a XT60. Flying both quads in a similar manner I notice more voltage sag with the XT30 than the XT60 connector, and the XT30 connections are warm to the touch, and the battery is much warmer. This is due to the increased current draw due to the voltage drop needed to maintain the power requirement.

Power = Current X Voltage (P=IxV) in Watts.

So to conclude a XT60 with a thicker gauge of wire will be used on a 1300mAh high C rated pack as using a XT30 and thinner gauge will choke the battery’s performance.

2 Likes

Brilliant that has explained it, so in a nut shell the best thing to do is send it back, which will probably cost as much as I paid for the bloody battery but still means Iv still got to by another one… :angry:

1 Like

Put it up on this forum for sale, you may only lose a few quid :slight_smile:

Cheers mate iv negotiate with them to send it back only £3 for pnp.

Just put it down to another FPV learning curve …

2 Likes