Chasewater - Added to Lakes and Reservoirs in West Midlands

@Hotrodspike. I agree John. :+1:t2: Itā€™s smoke and mirrors as far as Iā€™m concerned but unfortunately need their cooperation to get the shots I want! :laughing:

Iā€™ll keep pushing but just wanted the opinion of more experienced GADC members than I before I decide a way forward. :thinking:

1 Like

What is this nonsense?

Yeah, wildlife are well known for being much more relaxed when they find out the drone is being operated by someone who has a ā€œlicenceā€.

Come on Natural Englandā€¦

On Chasewater youā€™ve got, the steam railway, sailing boats, jet skis, water skiers, (donā€™t know if fishing is still allowed there), people and associated kids running around, M6 Toll Road 100 yards away or so. If that lot donā€™t disturb the birds, I donā€™t think me flying an Air 2S will bother them in the least.

1 Like

WTF indeed. I contacted the Chasewater Park Gov Manager to find out more about their imposed drone ban. The site is amongst others in the area that are apparently protected by an SSSI.

https://go.walsall.gov.uk/parks_and_green_spaces/conservation_and_the_environment/sites_of_special_scientific_interest_sssis

This is the Gov website that explains the where and the when of it. Iā€™m no legal expert hence my post at Chasewater - Added to Lakes and Reservoirs in West Midlands - #21 by D0c.Col

I have actually been given permission to fly by the Chasewater Park Manager with caveats that last a week, after which the ban will once more applyā€¦ allegedly. I always check Drone Scene before I fly somewhere new and as far as I can see it does not cover areas protected by an SSSI. The Park ban is a Council Policy but I dont think its covered by a By-law; unless of course an SSSI is equally enforceable?

There are loads of places to fly around here but I have to admit Chasewater isnā€™t actually one of them that I have bothered with.

If all these organisations like Natural England, National Trust et al just had a simple ā€œdonā€™t be a dickā€ mantra on their website, everyone would know what they could and couldnā€™t do :person_shrugging:t2:

Look forward to seeing your photos @D0c.Col :smiley:

If the Sailing Club can come up with the goods! :rofl:

1 Like

Chase water has been covered in numerous threads and never fully resolved. Ultimately whilst in contact with the park I would suggest clarifying what council actually manages it. And if they say Stafford clarify if itā€™s the county council or just Stafford borough. Although in Lichfield Iā€™m pretty sure they donā€™t manage it.

Then we can clarify council bye laws. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s the county and not the borough. Borough do ban but county donā€™t.

Also this is the first Iā€™ve heard of chase water being an official sssi. Again this needs clarifying. A very quick lazy google shows no reference to it being an sssi.

1 Like

I posted the link to origin of the SSSI. I think it comes under Lichfield Council but the Park Manager works for the Staffordshire County Council.

It is an sssi. Just checked. Itā€™s not managed by Lichfield. They got shot of it and not listed on their parks section.

Lichfield ban drones on their parks as well according to that page (check bye laws if itā€™s enforceable, Iā€™ve flew on beacon park and no one batted an eyelid)

Confirmation of sssi

PS. What time does the windsurfing start and Iā€™ll meet you there? :wink:

1 Like

@firstadekit Dont know Ade for sure. Iā€™ve been told that its dependent on the weather and of course the wind surfers themselves. Iā€™ll ask the Commodore when I ring and if I can bring a mate (my permission is in a email that he was copied in and refers to myself only). If he agrees and it goes ahead Iā€™ll let you know. Seems like thereā€™s too many variables to me so looking for an alternative. Missus is on Holiday next week so might be another trip to the seaside. :sweat_smile:

Official spotter ?
as required by the CAA ?