Coming back to the hobby, question about the new rules

Hello Everyone!

I haven’t been flying my drones since early 2020. I recently got more time on my hands and decided to go back into it. I saw that there are a ton of new rules and laws, and after reading for a while I have a few questions.

1. If I buy/build a drone with a takeoff mass under 250g today, will it be in C0 class automatically after 2023 able to fly A1 (close and over people). I am asking because as far as I understand all drones above 250g with no class right now will be moved to A3 zones only.

2. As I understand, I can fly sub 250g drone in A1 zone (near or above people) in recreational areas as long as it’s not in a no-fly zone or there aren’t temporary restrictions. Now, I would assume that I can fly in most parks in London that are outside the no fly zones.
    However, when I go to the council website it says that drones are not allowed (all councils I checked had that on their websites).
    So, to be more specific in this question, If I go to Shoreditch Park or London Fields for example, can I fly there?
    *Assuming I won’t fly over crowds of people if there are any
    *Assuming I have spotter if i fly fpv
    *Taking into account that I am a member of FPV UK

3. Is there a legal way to fly FPV without a spotter and in what conditions?

Thank you for looking into my questions

1 Like

Hi Alex, welcome back :wink:

This is my understanding, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

1. For sub-250g ‘legacy’ drones after 31/12/2022, they can continue to fly in the A1 category. Any legacy drone heavier than this will be relegated to the A3 category.

2. Correct, you can fly as per A1 category rules. As for councils, or any other organisations, stating ‘No drones allowed’ on their websites … I personally ignore them, as they do not own the airspace. I take off from the roof of my car 99% of the time, from a public road adjacent to the area of interest. Understandably, this excludes NFZ.

3. You’d need to ask an FPV’er to get the right info. But as far as I can recall, on 01/01/2021, the rules state you need a spotter.

I personally doubt the whole classification system will be fully implemented in the next 12 months. But that is just my opinion.

More info here:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Flying-in-the-open-category/

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

I read the link provided again and a few other places.

The question still stays but is a little bit different maybe.
While the council can prevent me from operating from their land, they can’t prevent me from flying above it. So, how do I know which land is theirs?
Or let me ask in another way, how do I know if a path in the park is a public path or not.
Do I even have to be that pedantic when I choose a spot to fly?

Honestly, it feels overwhelming trying to stay legal reading all of the documents released.

If you’d walk your dog somewhere you can fly there is the way I look at it

I wouldn’t get too hung up on it especially in rural or semi rural areas

6 Likes

The bylaws will get around this by stating taking off landing and “controlling” of drones.

But I always take bylaws with a pinch of salt as who will enforce them? And if you are approached while flying by the police and they quote a bylaw ignorance is bliss just apologise and state that its not displayed anywhere and that you was unaware of the bylaw and just move on. Don’t argue just move on.

I flew my sub250g drone in Coventry city centre last week and nobody batted an eye lid. There is so much sigma surrounding drone rules just know your rights go out and fly and enjoy it. Fuck the Karen’s! :grin:

6 Likes

Out of curiousity, what byelaw and how is taking off from my vehicle in breach of this?

The bottom line is … it is my vehicle, if I want to TOAL or do my favourite Dad dance on the roof - I can and will. Good luck to anyone trying to stop me :wink:

2 Likes

No I wasn’t saying you was inbreach of the bylaw by taking off and landing on your car, some people use it as a way of trying to get around the bylaws because they think by taking off and landing on their car isn’t taking off or landing on the land that the bylaw covers. But the bylaw will state controlling of the drone as well as taking off and landing.

1 Like

Ah, OK. But since I TOAL from a public road next to the POI, then I this does not apply. As for ‘controlling’ part, sorry, still don’t get it.

2 Likes

Bylaws will apply if the public road is owned and maintained by the council that has the bylaw inplace. But like I said I never pay attention to bylaws anyway as they are to difficult to enforce I would only take into account a bylaw if I was approached and made aware of the bylaw by law enforcement then I just wouldn’t fly there again because if I was approached again I’d be classed as a repeat offender.

By controlling I mean operating as in holding the controller and moving the sticks on the land thats covered by the bylaw.

1 Like

Fair point. I think I must be lucky, as I have yet to be approached by anyone other than walkers fascinated by the drone. If/when the time comes, where someone does start quoting rules and regs, then I will always play the ignorance card, apologise and be on my way :+1:

3 Likes

This was my point about the stigma around drones rules and regs. In reality nobody really cares, apart from the select few busy bodies… 9 times out of 10 the public are interested in the technology.

These days people are so scared about the rules that it takes the enjoyment out of the hobby but based on my experience there is no need to be worried just go out and fly and enjoy it :grin:

4 Likes

100% agree with this :point_up:

4 Likes

You legally need a spotter, but I recall that if you’re in a sterile area designated by the bmfa (eg a flying field) then you don’t. I think.

3 Likes

very interesting watch, he flies drones and has a series of yt bids on the subject​:+1::wink::sunglasses:

1 Like

I shared your frustaiotn until I accepted that its nto as simpe to give an unqualified “yes” or " no", as it all depends on multiple factors, including:

• Aispace restrictions
  • what craft you are flying
  • Where you take off and land from
  • commerical / recreational
  • insurance / risk assesment
  • council byelaws
  • what authoriation you choose to fly under
    (note that depending on the craft I may fly under different authorisation in exaclty the same place. Article 16 can reduce restriction for parks - see section 3.7 - extact : “A built-up area which is only used substantially for recreational purposes”

I was hugley frustated that the council had no legal obligation to make electronic copies of bye-lawes available online or by email request. I was obliged to view bye-laws in paper format at a booke appointmnet at the records office.

A useful resource: Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Good 2 Go - Can I fly my drone here?

Good luck & Happy flying

Thank you for the input!

I believe that once you fill in all the information in order to receive an answer you should always receive a yes or a no and no in-between.

I already used the link provided with this result Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - View these Good 2 Go results on Drone Scene!

• There is no specified minimum separation distance and it does not matter whether you are flying in a residential, industrial, commercial or recreational area

The frustrating part is that there is so much information that is contradicting itself that I can’t wrap my head around it.

Just get out and fly man, stop over thinking it :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

fantastic review of the bylaws and your rights with following the CAA rules :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the info…And I like your reply on how to answer the Karen’s. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: