Council byelaws (again !)

I have to admit to keeping well away from any public spaces when I fly.

Firstly im not interested in flying in parks as it goes but keeping out the way people in general is my goal.

Depending on the area and its local to buildings and housing I tend to get upto 400ft as quickly as I can, simply to get out of the way and to cause as little distraction to others as possible.

Im not upto anything sus (obviously :grin:). Im just wanting to take some photos in peace and a desire to be left alone whilst doing it drives me to places as far out the way as reasonably possible.

I have quite enjoyed the dark nights as I can get up in to the air from places which are usually populated and it offers up some interesting photo opportunities too.

Its taking on board all that we have learned re rules and regs and applying some common sense. No need to be that d**k

Still get that buzz when flying. I just need to get out more! :+1:

6 Likes

Checked with Lancaster City Council and their policy is to adhere to the CAA guidelines, no added rules.

5 Likes

Where’s Lancaster and what are the house prices like up there?

2 Likes

:joy::joy: North of Blackpool and at the moment, relatively cheap :joy::joy:

Is that the one with the Bridge over the wide open river crossing? The Castle/Jail at the top of the hill and the rather annoying 1 way system?

1 Like

That’s the one, biggest V sign in Europe on the millennium bridge.

3 Likes

Even cheaper in Morecambe. And you get the gorgeous sunsets thrown in.

3 Likes

I know it’s in the U.S.A

But this is interesting

2 Likes

Hi all, I’ve just bought a Mavic Mini. I’ve registered as an operator and pilot with the CAA. (Because with the prop guard it just tips over 250 grams).
However, even conforming with the CAA Code of Practice, my local council has said that “they do NOT give permission to fly in parks or public spaces” within the borough. Do I need their permission? Where can I find a definitive answer? Thanks.

You only need their permission if your taking off from their property.

Thanks, do you happen to know where I can find the legislation / byelaws?

For where ?

Ask your council for a written or online policy or bye-laws. They don’t get to throw people out of parks arbitrarily, they need to be acting in line with policy or law. But if they have a policy, they can just declare you a trespasser and eject you.

You might get some good flying in first, though :wink:

2 Likes

And don’t get hung up on the laws they think you’re breaking.

Take a look at DroneScene, follow the Drone Code and all will be good

4 Likes

Yes, I told them that I’d registered with CAA and would comply with the Code of Coduct. It took them three weeks to respond, so I don’t think they have a policy.

1 Like

Don’t bother asking , just fly

6 Likes

Councils think they can just put up a sign banning this that or the other. BUT there has to be law passed for them to be able to do it, many councils don’t, they just rely on our British ignorance and abeyance of a sign or person in uniform. The council can only ban you from taking off or landing on land they own, they can’t stop you flying over if you are adhering to the drone code, and if you aren’t, they can only report you to the CAA or Police, it because the airspace is regulated by the CAA.
If a jobsworth or anyone purporting to be acting on behalf of the council tells you that taking off or landing is banned by byelaw, ask to see a copy of the relevant legislation. It’s no good them pointing to the sign and telling you it’s banned.

6 Likes

Or as Milkmanchris says…‘it’s easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission’

5 Likes

I think it gets said every time these questions are asked, common sense and courtesy goes a long way. I regularly fly on the Sefton coastal in various locations some can be busy at times, I have always opted to take off and land in as quite a spot as I can find I have never had an issue, yet I only found out last week from a post on here that as the Sefton Coast is a SSSI any flights are prohibited.

No doubt if I started taking off in busy areas flying low near people trying to relax or play on the beach I would soon have a warden or a police officer feeling my collar.

I am also confident that if a warden or officer was to stop me I highly doubt this would end in criminal charges I am sure I would be asked to move on, and I would do in a respectful manor

4 Likes

And as noted on the other thread, there is no blanket prohibition on flying over a SSSI. It’s generally legal so long as you don’t actually disturb any wildlife.

3 Likes