Crash Avoidance

If you take your fingers off the sticks, it will just sit there due to the GPS… I have had my MP for about a year, and i like to mess with settings, but last night i was about 6500ft out, and low battery kicked in, @ 25% (stock is 30/35%) and RTF engaged, bird flew up to 30m RTH height set by me, and came back. no worries… Apart from trees, Obstacle avoidance works really well I have shown my mates it going straight to walls and stopping… I live on the edge of a huge national park area, which is wide open, so never had an issue with worrying about crashing… my worry is forgetting to set Home point for RTH to remote, and it getting a low battery/ losing signal and it heading home by itself to last RTH point… but experience is a great thing you wil be fine. its not like RC models fixed wing/helicopters which are completely diff.

… which will be where it took off. Normally where you are.
Setting to where the RC location is more for a moving RC … like on a boat, etc.

Thanks for that @Cobblers ! Do you always set you RTH as the remote ? Instead of take off point ?

Usually they are, within a few feet, the same location.

The fact that you took off from a location probably means you can land there. You, and your RC, may be standing in a location more suited to a better view of your drone, but not necessarily a good place to land.

The only time in 18 months of owning my MP that I’ve reset the home to my (RC) location is when trekking whilst flying, and the last thing I’d want is to walk back 15 minutes to the original take-off point.

Two reasons I’d reset home to the RC location … where I am now, when it’s not very near where I took off …
a) most commonly, lose sight of the MP, and too lazy to look at the map in the app to work out where it is and get it to fly it back to me,
b) in case I lose RC connection with the MP and want it to fly back towards a location that’s not too far away. (This one has never actually happened to me.)

In both cases, the chances are I’d see it way before it reached the Home point, kill the RTH (assuming connection has been re-established in (b) ) and regain manual control.

As mentioned earlier, setting to RC location makes sense if you are flying from a boat (or other object) that’s moving. But you’d need to keep updating, and make sure you had it set to hover, not land, on RTH … so that you can more quickly get the boat back to its location and land manually.

99.9% of the time I leave it as take-off point.

Edit: In all the times I’ve used RTH, most have been laziness rather than panic. :wink:

1 Like

A point that’s not already been made … when you are out in your field/wherever practicing flying your MP…. DO try using RTH and see how damned good/accurate it is - don’t be afraid of it.

In that way, as and when you really do need to use it, you don’t delay making the decision, with the potential for the situation getting any worse.

Make sure you have a suitable RTH altitude set (and remember to change this when flying in a location that needs more height), and whether you want it to land or hover when it reaches the Home point…
By default I have mine set to hover, because by then I’ll probably have taken over control again, and as awesome as the auto landing is, sometimes the terrain where I am (trekking, etc) makes manual landing a better option.

If the take-off has been a steady climb to (I think) 5m, then the optical assistance on landing makes it quite unnervingly accurate when there is something for it to easily identify on return.
Some people use a folding “launch pad” and that works well.

This pic was after a full RTH landing …. no human intervention … and, yes, I wasn’t quite 100% sure it would work until it was completely landed. :wink:

I was out trekking and just came down a big till, didn’t fancy climbing back up if it decided to rth from take off… I use my rth feature even just to check that it works… from time to time

1 Like

:+1:
yup - this automation is brilliant just to watch … or “show off” to someone. #GuilyAsCharged. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is great advice thank you @OzoneVibe @Cobblers ! My MP has literally just been delivered(last 5 mins) it’s at home in Plymouth, I work in Exeter. Gonna be a loooooooong 5 hours to wait :joy:. I will certainly check that the RTH works ok and will have to remember to change it to hover when needed. So much to learn ! I’m going to order a landing pad I think, just to have that option. Also going to get a joystick n screen protector like this

2 Likes

I have the exact same a screen/sticks protector. More for the “sticks” than the screen.

1 Like

I have the black one. Works well.

1 Like

What does that protect the joysticks against? Sorry if it’s a daft question…

Not daft.

Just from being broken when packed in a bag, case, etc. They aren’t very strong and, obviously, stick out.

I got them, initially, when I tried using the combo bag … and they are a tight fit.
So tight I stopped using that bag. Pointlessly small.

I still use the combo bag. The sticks get bent when in that bag so these keep the sticks in their natural position.

2 Likes

I know a lot of people go for rugged cases into which they can pack everything, kitchen sink included - and for those that tend to drive close to where they fly, I understand that.

For me, I walk loads with the MP, 30km in a day isn’t rare, and weight is key.

I went for these which I can chuck in my back-pack really easily, and it doesn’t matter if they are on top of other clutter or beneath, and they fit in easily amongst the other clutter.

If you’re somewhere you’re not sure you ought to be, it’s quick to pack the MP / RC away and walk off and nobody knows it was you. :wink:

Spare props in the top of the battery case.

Sorry about the naked MP … I’m in the middle of replacing the gimbal mount. LOL

3 Likes

I was thinking of buying those cases but read some reviews which said the MP case puts pressure on the motors. That imprint on your case, was it caused by use or designed that way?

I’ve not detected any tightness on the MP at all.
More than happy with them. :+1:

There are several people on eBay selling that style of case. Could depend in the supplier/manufacturer.

Says he… with the broken prop :rofl:

Only joking - I don’t supoose for one minute that case was the cause!

Ha! Absolutely not.
When I got the cases I wrapped the MP in about 6 layers of kitchen towel and then put it in the case. That was a “snug” fit. So more than happy its ok normally.

If you’ve not ordered it yet @greenarmy1978 I’ve got the lesser version available - free of charge mate, it’s looking for a good home :+1:

Drop me a PM if it’s of any use :slight_smile: