Crystalsky mount improvement

Hey all,

I’m not sure if it is just the cheapskate in me… but hey we are amongst friends so here goes :stuck_out_tongue:

I splashed out a while back and bought myself an 7.85 CS monitor and do not regret it for a moment but with budget blown, paying big money for a mount was a step too far. So I ended up getting one of these

It duly arrived and I knew immediately there was room for improvement. There were 3 main issues:

1. The arms of the ball joint were not very firm
    FIX: This I resolved by putting some Loctite on the bolts so they were permanently in the ‘up’
    position. This meant it would no longer fold flat but since I use a carry case for my kit it was
    not a problem.

2. and 3. (see photo)

1. The tightening nut for the ball joint needs to be tightened so much in order to stop the monitor
    moving that it is very hard to undo so it might as well be permanently fixed in place
    FIX: Having determined what (for me) is the best monitor angle, I used a pair of grips to
    permanently tighten the mounting plate onto the ball joint

2. The two screws that fasten the monitor to the mounting plate are flush to the plate AND fall out when
    the monitor is not attached
    FIX: I got replacement M5 12mm bolts with shoulders. I also got some M4 (yes M4) nylon
    washers and widened the hole a bit with a sharp knife so they would TIGHTLY fit onto the
    M5 bolt. I put 2 washers directly onto the bolt then put the bolt through the mounting plate
    hole before putting a third washer on the bolt to hold it in place

Whilst these changes mean the mount cannot fold flat, they make it feel much better and attaching and releasing the monitor using the raised bolts is made much easier and locks it firmly in place.

Total cost of mods about £3.50

Cheapskate? Moi???

Hope this of help to someone

J

4 Likes

I love these kind of mods!

Great job @jw33679, thanks for sharing :+1:

1 Like

“Necessity is the Mother of invention”
:relaxed:

2 Likes

“Perfection is the father of persistence” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like