Deciphering Skywise notifications

I’m wondering how can I find out more details about a flight restrictions…

I got this notification from Skywise today:

Restricted Airspace (Temporary) - Helicopter flight, 19 July
Restriction of Flying Regulations for Helicopter Flight between Sandringham and Windsor on 19 July 2021.

Details by NOTAM and in a Briefing Sheet at www.nats.aero/ais

Restrictions also apply to the operation of all drones.

SW2021/163

Clearly I can’t fly my drone where this heli flies, but where is that?
I tried to find the corresponding NOTAM / briefing sheet on that link, without any luck.

What’s the trick? How can can I find the right NOTAM for a Skywise notification? (Not just this one, in general.)

Looks to me like a Royal Flight…dont go anywhare near it!! Windsor to Sandrigham Norfolk…they usually fly a direct line…
Go 08085 354802 or +44 (0)1489 887515. CAA (AIS Heatherow) and ask.

2 Likes

Thanks, yes, this example clearly a Royal Flight, but that’s not really a question here.
I’m probably not affected by this one.

How can I find the NOTAM for a (any) Skywise notification?

If you go to SKYWISE you will see a ref to the flight at the bottom of the alert. Click on it…IF you have joined AIS as a viewer then Royal Flight and other details will be available in full… All AIS info can be obtained fro Gatwick (AIS office) or AIS HQ London Heathrow, Used to have a big office at Prestick and Manchester and a smaller one at Birmingham Airports but no sure what they have now. Anyway if they are all operating then the whole of the Aeronautical Info is available for whatever you want by ringing the airports mentioned and asking for AIS (Flight Briefing) with the exception of Birmingham.

Is this what you’re looking for?

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/misc/BRIEFING_SHEET_HELICOPTER_FLGHT_15_JULY_2021_amended.pdf

Page 4 shows the area on a map.

I found it here:

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=view&id=812&Itemid=413.html

Reading the notes it looks like the notam was updated and the flight occurred yesterday, which is why it’s not visible on any digital maps (Drone Scene, et al).

Sorry, ignore that, I’ve just read your first post again that mentions the 19th.

Maybe it was originally planned for 15th and has now moved to 19th? :man_shrugging:

@PingSpike , the one you have found was for an earlier flight from Windsor to Sandringham, this notification is about the flight back.

That is nice you have found that briefing sheet, what I’m looking for is “The Method :tm:” for finding the right one, starting from the information in the SkyWise notification.

I might be dumb, but I can’t get what you mean…

Go to SkyWise? Where? the email they sent? their website? the app?

There is a reference number at the bottom of the email, but it’s not clickable.

Check again. As it said earlier … “UPDATED” … and now it has been.

Go here.
http://skywise.caa.co.uk/category/airspace-alerts/

I suggest you log on to AIS as a “member” and check it regularly. The Skywise (to me) seems a bit of a mess. I worked CAA AIS as a Flight Briefing Officer for 22 yrs and I looked at SKYWISE …go to the horses mouth AIS…they publish the Notams etc and you can ring AIS at Heathrow with a query. also If you have any questions or comments, you can contact them at content@caa.co.uk.

Yeah, that’s where I’ve been and could not find any connection to AIS.

That regular check part is what I wanted to avoid when subscribed to SkyWise, but as you said, it is a bit of a mess.