Demolition Rugeley / Staffs (now on 06/06/21)

Spotted this NOTAM on Drone Scene this evening:

There are some cooling towers being blown up on 13th Feb in Rugeley near Staffs / Cannock Chase.

Not my neck of the woods, but might be a good place for a meet up if someone wants to organise?

2 Likes

@Matty1 @Zinoreaper @Steviegeek

How about it guys, the towers are visible from where we normally meet but a better visual would be from the hill by Sherbrooke valley, meet at German cemetery and 15min walk down path :+1:

2 Likes

Sounds good to me Garry bud :grin::+1:

1 Like

Yep, I’ll certainly be there.
Been waiting for this ever since Ironbridge last December
I need to do some research, I want to get a closer better vantage point and have a place in mind, will let you know if I can get permission.
Thanks for flagging this date up Rich @PingSpike I was not aware it was this soon in the year
Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

@notveryprettyboy

3 Likes

I was planning on flying around the abandoned site next month but was unsure on the law surrounding it
Well never mind i dont have to worry now

2 Likes

Great :+1:

Hi Tim @Zinoreaper
I recoineterrd this site a few weeks ago for @notveryprettyboy

Steviegeek:

Rugeley towers are well fenced off,no chance of getting in :anguished:
I was walking on what I consider the public side of the fence, stepped onto it from the pavement.
They must have CCTV 'cos in less than five minutes a security guard arrived on bicycle, radio in hand, telling me it was private property and I had to go.
Remonstrated I was on public side of the fence and not trespassing but he says the guys in the control centre say I have to go.
I’d seen what I wanted to so I wished him a HNY and left.

Now we know demolition is approaching this probably explains their ‘sensitivity’ :smile::rofl:

1 Like

This looks very interesting, I am in Portsmouth but could be an excuse to do a camper mission and a stop over, I will be watching.

Did u go on the housing estate where there is a public field it looks like

That housing estate is were I started my working life, it was Thorn Automation then :slightly_smiling_face:
The problem with that side is you have the Amazon warehouse in the way.
I’m out tomorrow trying for permission to go the other side of the river
Watch this space …
Cheers
Steve :kissing_heart:

1 Like

i mean around here

1 Like

Hi Tim,
That would be a great place, but I reckon it will be inside the exclusion zone and we will not get access :frowning_face:
I’m going down there tomorrow, I’ll see what I can find out.
Cheers

1 Like

Keep me informed please @Steviegeek

Will do :grinning::grinning:

Would there be plenty of space? I.e. so I can try and hover manually? Ah. Scratch that. I’m booked for work on 13th. Bah.

It’s not the cooling towers on Thursday, just a grey square building, Towers later in the year.
I’ll give you the details later today when I have chance.
Cheers

2 Likes

No way??

Boooooooo…

I’m rather pleased actually ‘cos I can’t get Thursday off work :grinning:

1 Like

:rofl:

I went to Rugeley power station yesterday, noticed there was no sign of preparation around the towers nor any advance road closure signage.
Saw security, the guy there denied any towers were coming down on Thursday, he reckoned later in the year or even 2021 ‘thinks to sort out with Amazon’ was his explanation. showed him the CAA NOTAM but he just shrugged his shoulders. I left not convinced he was being truthful, just saying what he’d been told to say to the public maybe :thinking:

At my Mum’s place the local newspaper had no mention of it either.

Stroke of luck at MacDonalds though, I saw a couple of policemen in :police_car: leaving, flagged them down and asked the question, most helpful, they explained Thursdays ‘blow-down’ is one of the large grey square buildings only. The towers aren’t coming down until much later in the year. :+1:

True what they say, if you want to know something… ask a policeman :laughing:

Cheers

4 Likes