Dismantling the MP Gimbal Mount ... and Gimbal!

It would soften a little too much … end up with a pile of gooooooooooo!

If it looks like hot melt glue whatever you do, don’t heat it! Without the connector in place it will end up in places it shouldn’t.

5 mins in freezer to get it brittle then pick it out with a needle.

1 Like

You know … I knew that … but had totally forgotten! :+1:

Was just incase lol, ive made that mistake before, not fun.

1 Like

So - magnifying glasses with illumination make so much difference!
All 3 gimbal ribbon connectors cleaned out of the rubbery gunk.
So much in there, and lots of gentle teasing with a pointed spudger, but progress was immediate and the result pleasing.
At least I now know that latent debris won’t be the cause of a poor connection.

Camera/Horizon motor connector:

Yaw motor connector:

Pitch motor connector:

(Crap pics - my main lens is being borrowed. Either have a loooong one that means I’d be the other side of the room, or this short one that means the lens is so close there’s no light getting in. I’m not really equipped for Macro.)

Bloody weird day for reasons nothing to do with drones. Scam attempt on elderly neighbour, money paid will never be recovered, I intervened before the next £3.5k was paid, police, etc…
Think I’ll leave the putting it back together until tomorrow. I’m shattered.

2 Likes

Looking good, hope it all gets sorted .

Nice work on catching the scammers, did the police turn up in time to arrest them?

In time, yes, but with a brightly coloured police car smack outside, the scammers probably got wind before they could be apprehended.

Typical.

Looking good Dave.

Are you going to use a spot of hot glue on the connectors when installed?

Fingers crossed for you.

I’ve been contemplating what I might use. I don’t possess a hot glue gun. (This will soon be more expensive than a new drone! LOL!)

How removable is hot glue? … should I need to … way into the future!

Was also going to see if I can manage to get it pretty much all back together, but with the plugs still exposed … and probably the multi-strand video cable just “dangling”, so that I can check everything is sorted before “fixing” the ribbon connectors in place.

Edit: Whilst the magnifying glasses made everything much easier, and will in the next stage, the ones I got are fundamentally crap … and will be going back. #Bonus

Hot glue comes off of hard surfaces very easily once you break the initial bond.

I use it with connectors on racing drone and over soldered wires, stops them breaking or connectors vibrating out.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/glue-gun-with-2-glue-sticks-at-poundland-for-2-2993755

I can probably stretch to another £2. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

“Houston … we have an idiot … who has a problem!”

That doesn’t sound good.

1 Like

Snails climbing walls make more rapid progress. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah - “Gimbal Gyro Error”.

The video cable needs replacing.

In the good news … Gimbal Motor Overload (currently) not an issue. LOL!

I know the feeling, my P4 shakes the camera like it’s saying no.
I replaced the yaw arm, roll motor, ribbon cable twice but still no joy, for now it just sits in its case while I use the others.
I might fix it one day.

2 Likes

Quite a saga :gear:

2 Likes

Yup. That’s one word one could use. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

My neighbour advises me that this, too, is a spudger.

There’ll be no need to tell you when I’m back in the air.
All you’ll need to do is look at the window at this time of evening - when these great sunsets stop happening … I’m probably responsible. :stuck_out_tongue: