Distractions whilst flying

Hi everyone,

Whilst we wait for Storm Dennis to pass, I’d like to hear your stories and experiences about distractions and run-ins you’ve had with people whilst flying.

Touch-wood in my case I’ve never had anyone come over shouting and I’ve always had a spotter. Worst case was a lady complaining to her friends about my drone because it was annoying her dog…as they walked through the designated flying field…with all the other drones flying around :thinking:

It’d make a nice change to hear some positive experiences too :blush:

Just one of several !;

When I did my vid on the Admiral Nelson Column on the Straits in Anglesey a couple of ladies and their dogs approached asking if I was photographing the statue - I said yes, but from the air - my MPP was about 20 feet up at that point and they hadn’t heard or seen it - when I showed them the iPad screen they were delighted and eventually looked up. As i brought it down I told them to watch the screen and they couldn’t believe they were “on telly” as one of them said. I said i was happy to delete them from the vid if they wanted to stay and check, but they said “no need, that was very interesting” and wandered off along the shore. I guess a smily face and my magnetic personality won the day lol lol
Might have been different with a “buzzy” drone, but the MPP did its stuff quietly and inconspicuously.

2 Likes

To be fair ,I always involve anyone that is interested, and, I always say “Would you mind if I landed the drone, and I will be more than happy to talk to you”
I always try to put across to people that we do not fly “Spy Drones” ,and that we are there to fly as it gives us a greater perspective of the area that we are in.

1 Like

One of my phone ring tones is
“The James Bond Theme” and my message tone is
“Now pay attention 007”
does that qualify as a smooth talkin’ dude.

1 Like

Most of my experiences with Public Joe(s) /Doe(s) have been of curious minds as most had not actually seen a drone to actually understand what it is all about. I always land the bird for them to take a closer look while I explain & crush myths & negative misconceptions they may have of drones.
I found that after a short interaction they seem to linger behind me with their eyes locked onto the tablet, I guess enjoying the view.

A lot of the time I notice that the questions tend to dwindle after I have asked them to look up the cost of the drone on the internet using their phones.

I think from the get go you will be able to determine whether some has malicious intent or is just a curious soul seeking enlightenment.

2 Likes