DJI "Air Sense"

I’m constantly viewing articles on this forum, but haven’t yet come across the DJI ‘Air Sense’ topic - I’m wondering whether it’s available in the UK and if so has any member used it yet.
DJI says they’ve installed “ADS-B In” technology in their Mavic 2 Enterprise and Matrice 200 series models and are now commited to installing it in all new drones over 250g.
If, like me, you hadn’t the faintest idea what Air Sense is here’s their statement: DJI AirSense is an alert system that uses ADS-B technology to give drone pilots enhanced situational awareness and help them make responsible decisions while flying. This feature gathers flight data sent automatically from nearby aircraft with ADS-B transmitters, analyzing it to detect potential collision risks and alert users well in advance through the DJI mobile app.
For a more in-depth version see DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography.
Just curious.

There was a quote from DJI in 2019 that said:

“ All new DJI drone models released after January 1, 2020”

Briefly discussed here: New DJI drones to come with ADS-B plane detection

Not heard anything since.

We shall see I guess :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

As I live within earshot of a major airport, and I’m king of the nerds, I play quite a lot with homemade ADS-B systems. It’s my experience that very few small aircraft/helicopters actually carry ADS-B themselves. Ironic when you think of it as it’s these type of aircraft you’re likely to encounter. All passenger, propped and jet, do carry ADS-B but if you start getting pings from these while out flying, your drone will be the very least of their problems.

Nidge.

1 Like

But we don’t need ADS-B in. The benefit would be ADS-B out for commercial aircraft that are fitted with ADS-B in receiver equipment to see drones.

I can’t imagine them changing course to avoid a drone they can’t see.

Sorry, don’t seem to have given a clear overview - and the DJI statement covers all ADS-B instances, rather than what I intended to highlight. Please bear with me and I’ll try to improve the situation.
In the United States it is now mandatory for all light aircraft and helicopters to be fitted with the ADS-B equipment. No exceptions.
There are two devices - one is called the “In” system, which receives signals from (nearby) aircraft, much like radar; the signal is receivable because the nearby aircraft has transmitted on their “Out” system.
Probably because nobody envisages a need for other aircraft types (commercial passenger/cargo carrying) to be at drone height other than when in controlled airspace there is no need for a drone to be fitted additionally with the “Out” device as there is no way any commercial pilot is going to try and outmanouvre a drone, even though he might well have been advised of its location - hence no need for a drone to be fitted with the “Out” version - just the “In”.
It seems that the full system is being trialled by the CAA - see this Jan 2019 report from Manchester City airport (the one at Salford, not the Ringway one). https://www.caa.co.uk/Blog-Posts/Bringing-ADS-B-surveillance-trials-to-airfields/
Sorry for any earlier confusion.

2 Likes