DJI Avata FPV Cinewhoop - Rumours, leaks, gossip and general discussion

God damn big one! :joy:. Cheers pal, will enjoy , and will claim on Dji Care within…probably this weekend no doubt​:wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the real-world feedback on battery life Ade @Leylo1971

It’s always nice to hear the objective views from someone who isn’t sponsored by DJI :blush:

1 Like

No worries. To be honest, as much as I say I get a buzz out of flying it, and the pro view package is great, their are some issues, and not really to do with the tech. No ‘proper’ controller to access manual mode, meaning either buying one off flea bay, or shelling out 130 quid for a brand spanker. DJI should offer one at least at discount to punters who’ve shelled out for a full kit. Not likely.
The goggles 2, the fit is a personal thing, with my big nose and that😂, but there are small issues other than that. ‘Mads tech’ covered them well in his live stream a few days ago, I’ll leave the link down below.
Don’t get me started on the Fly more kit…price and basically what you do/don’t get.
What I think I’m trying to say is, the tech is great, not perfect though , and is a brilliant experience, but Dji wants to eek out every last penny from punters for ‘extras’, which are needed for that experience, and that’s left a sour taste in me mouth​:rage:. But I’m still as happy as hell flying the little bugger​:grin::grin::grin::grin:.

3 Likes

For a comparison, what sort of range do you get on that?

Shame about the speed in comparison to the FPV normal mode 30mph sports mode 60mph FPV manual mode a smidge over a ton. The bonus is this little thing is it’s robust & looks capable of taking a good knock unlike its big brother that is fragile in comparison. I’d recommend it for any new pilot best of both worlds yeah expensive but you get what you pay for. Had I not already purchased my Mavic 3 I’d have got one just for the craic

1 Like

Extra Batts arrived :grin::grin::grin:

I’ll wait for the Avata Pro…

With the following:

1. 2K range
  2. Mavic Pro1 type gimbal capable of Fixed wing FPV gimbal lock, with clear gimbal cover.
  3. D-log,
  4. Option for Atti mode… :point_left:
  5. Sticks, Expo, Liner curves.
  6. Back compatible with goggles V1, V2, 2
  7. Free if you’ve got more than 3 Dji drones… :rofl:
  8. goggles that don’t fog.
  9. easy access to SD card / USB.

This list will grow… :thinking:
:clown_face:

1 Like

And mini priced batteries

1 Like

How did I forget… :scream_cat:

Just seen this has AirSense. I really wish it would cover FLARM as well as ADS-B.

Yeah, total noob at fpv, this little fella seems to be quite tame though! We’ll see🤔. Didn’t like the idea of starting out full acro, so this looks like a decent starting point. I was tempted by the Dji Fpv, but for the flight time, price of the batteries and the amount of times I was going to stuff it, me mates got one (with a thermal camera attached) an it seems if I would have crashed it once, it would of taken a shed load of damage, so never bothered.

2 Likes

Until they force all aircraft to have adsb transmitters, why’s it matter and what use is it

Especially on an FPV drone

Isn’t it a little heavy for your tastes :wink:

Agreed a bit pointless on an FPV drone but the reason why is fairly obvious. I’m not catastrophising but it’s inevitable that there will be serious drone strike incident one day and moving with the times and incorporating EC is probably wise for the drone lobby.

So you advocate all aircraft should have it ?

Much more likely for a drone strike with a camera drone or a long range drone/ wing.

Less likely on a cinewhoop or freestyle fpv drone.
Fpv drones tend to hit trees, abandoned buildings and the ground.

2 Likes

Avata - Mine arrived on Tuesday - I had wanted to try FPV so decided to take the plunge - I bought the package with V2 goggles and a motion controller

It is remarkably simple to fly, at least in normal mode (not tried manual yet) and the controls using the touch pad on the goggles are intuitive and I found I was navigating around them quite easily

One minor accident so far - I got a message that the battery was extremely low and that the craft would land immediately - before I could intervene it dropped through a branch skimming off some small twigs & leaves and landed - no damage done :-). The only negative this far is that it is quite susceptible to wind - this morning it is gusting at 24mph and it struggled to remain steady (the only slightly heavier Air 2S had no such difficulty)

FPV flying is really exhilarating and I’m finding the Avata really fun to use - so early days I know but suffering no buyer regret

3 Likes

Only real big pisser so far is having to launch from the ground, well, pad of some kind. Had to take a rear car mat out with us last night to plonk on top of the grass for said manoeuvres. I can’t remember the last time over the past 2 years I’ve not hand launched/caught anything I’ve flown, it’s just so convenient. Hand launching/catching one of these little puppies doesn’t quite tickle me fancy because I’m bound to put a finger a couple of mm to far inside one of the ducts😣. Ouch.
OH, nearly forgot…the motion sickness :nauseated_face:, out of 3 batts last night, only managed to use 1.5 due to wanting to barf​:joy:. I’ll get used to that though.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the insight @Leylo1971 :smiley:

heh I’m so glad I don’t get motion sick with things. Maybe years of video gaming. Even VR never really affected me. I do think you get used to it. Also when FPV I prefer sitting down than standing, or even leaning against something (such as a tree)?

I’ve seen Nurk hand catch his!

2 Likes

With the goggles on?