DJI Crystalsky, I Took The Plunge

I have been quite reluctant to buy the DJI Crystalsky mainly due to a fair few negative reports of overheating and crashing,having tried other tablets with limited success I took the plunge I came to the conclusion that I’ll end up buying at some point. When a second hand one was posted on here I jumped on it, it turned out that it really was as new with hardly any previous use.

Using my Mavic Pro, I went out to test it, the test was to track a glider at the gliding club where I’m a member, previous attempts using the iPhone meant I always lost the glider or couldn’t see it at all if it was 600 meters away and at an altitude of 900 ft (approximately on the down wind leg).

I was able to easily track the glider using the tablet, so very happy so far, the one thing I noted was how warm it gets when it’s set to it’s max brightness and the lack of cooling vents close to the hottest part at the back. I may remedy that with a Mod at a later date after I’ve tried it on a very hot day.
So far (one flight) I’m happy and here is a short clip…:point_down:

4 Likes

I’ve no plans to buy one (new or 2nd hand) but good to hear they do make a difference.

Out of interest, is that a winch launch as I oculdn’t tell from the footage?

Yes it was, it was crosswind practise day…:grinning:

1 Like

Hi Lance @Njoro
I fully agree with you, after trying many versions of tablets and phones, I managed to pick up a CrystalSky 7.85” Ultra as part of an Inspire 2 package on fleabay.
What an amazing piece of kit, unless it is bright sunshine, which it has not been recently, I’ve not turned it up to full brightness.
I’ll watch with interest any mods on the cooling as it does seem to run warm.
I’ve just updated to the latest CS firmware, not sure if that included any settings to improve the cooling.
Cheers, looking forward to any mods.

1 Like

Just to check, what’s the your firmware version Is it 2.06.06.00?

:+1: Yes that’s the one, think it came out quite a while ago, but mine was still on a previous version

:+1:

Is the cooling fan kicking in ok? :thinking:

Ah - that’s what this was that someone posted … :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I haven’t heard it, I’ll turn it on for a while and listen, otherwise I’m happy that I can see better now.

1 Like

I was out all day on Saturday in the heat to test the Crystalsky, I had it set to it’s max and I’m glad to say it never overheated. It’s not the ultra so I expect that it rans cooler.

I’m very happy with it…:+1:

1 Like

I just can’t seem to find a used one at a half decent price

I think I was lucky, in fact I’m now thinking of the Ultra Brightness now I’ve used the Bright…:nerd_face:

2 Likes

I get Crystalsky only to save battery life on phone. Since in the trip i could int fly because my phone could not source current for controller and was keep restarting, and it was cold a bit.

With crystal sky i can drain 4 batteries and still have decent charge left on a single battery

1 Like