DJI Mavic 2: From Zoom to Pro

Following on from the introduction topic, I thought I’d create a quick thread regarding the Mavic 2, and changing quite quickly from the Zoom to the Pro.

For me, I’d been a recreational flyer, PFCO Operator and then back to flying for fun due to time constraints and not being able to find the time to explore the commercial side of things. Fast forward a couple of years and with a little more time available, and having sold my previous UAV’s (P4P - dearly missed) I was keeping an eye on the release of the Mavic 2, which Argos accidentally leaked prior to it being announced.

I’d always liked the idea of optical zoom on a smaller and more reasonably priced UAV, as this was normally reserved for the larger drones such as the Inspire. Being a hobbyist, and looking at the awesome features of the Zoom, I went ahead and made the purchase at Christmas last year. A few flights later, having explored the features and not really used them ever since, I was starting to wonder if I’d made the right choice. The Zoom was handy for getting in that bit closer, bearing in mind the non-PFCO separation distances, and it was also quite good when I assisted in looking for a missing dog in remote farmland, but apart from that, it was like having my original Mavic Pro back.

I’d made the decision to renew my PFCO, and following some months of getting the necessary paperwork together, I sent off my application knowing that the Zoom, as a future PFCO Operator, probably wasn’t going to cut it. I did a trade-in with a company for the Zoom and cash their way for a brand new Mavic 2 Pro as the aircraft only, as I ensured that I kept hold of my DJI Smart Controller. The difference has been night and day for me, especially with shooting RAW and editing in Lightroom.

The Zoom is an awesome piece of kit in fairness, and had I remained a recreational flyer, I’d never have parted with it, but in the world of being a commercial operator, I felt the Pro was the only option. If anyone is in limbo of what to choose, weigh up the options, I made the wrong choice initially but other maybe able to save themselves some hassle (and cash) by establishing what their needs really are.

Safe flying :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for that informative post. I’m sure others on the Zoom/Pro fence will find it very useful in their decision making. :+1:

1 Like

Great write up. Luckily for me i have both. So i get the best of both worlds. If DJI do bring out a Mavic 3 i would love it to have the 1" hassleblad, with a 3 or 4 x optical zoom.

3 Likes

That would be awesome! I think the M2P will do me for quite some time yet, the ADS-B installation to DJI drones from next year could be a game changer, so I probably won’t get anything else until then.

1 Like

If you bought a MP Pro 2 and regretted not getting the Zoom how difficult would it to be to retro upgrade ? DIY or …

The cameras are interchangeable - there are a few threads on here about it already.

Thanks I should have known I was trying to re-invent the wheel so I looked after posting Only problem is it’s 550 posts long !!!

Do these longer posts ever get closed but still visible status? Is that even possible?

I’ve noticed as a nubbie here I’ve been bumped to the bottom of the somewhat tenuously related Topic that’s pretty old and long And like many today I struggle to read in anything longer than 10 minute bit sized chunks

Here’s a shorter one: Zooooooom! - #19 by callum

2 Likes

I was typing like crazy as I suspected I only had seconds before my best friend Ozone did his magic! :laughing:

This, and the one Rich linked to, are excellent threads on the subject.

Six screws, a cable connector … swap … cable connector, six screws. Done.

If I set up a spurious already used Topic shall we have a race to see who wins?

You get to read and bump it

I see if I can comment on it with the words.

Ready steady Go

:joy: :rofl: :laughing: :grin: :hugs:

P.S for those with money to spare & invest They do say there’s likely to be an explosion of Drone sales with the next 5yr

Their not setting up this legislation Only on the back of the now infamous Gatwick Fiasco

However I think the money will be in ‘Commercial drone user type’ company’s rather than recreational

Remember who give you this insight if you make a killing And please forget I ever mentioned it if you don’t :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

P.S Amazon shares now £1000/share!

Oops wrong button! Should have pressed ‘Original’

Thank you Dave like to teach me how to do that?

P.S Advanced user stage tutorials in Full Members section Anyone? Topic suggestion ?

Ah but whe people realise amazon can’t do drone deliveries in weather like this, they will drop.

I’m no expert but people make money both on rising & failing shares

When I kept fish I use to buy from an x soldier who had his leg blown off and somehow ended up with a high Compensation He advised buy shares in Asda just before they stop the trading (go bust) he new they wouldn’t and years later I ask how did that go for you “Well” he said grinning like a Cheshire Cat!