DJI Mavic 3 & Classic - Rumours, leaks, gossip and general discussion

Optics and sensors need to be larger for 6k+ to be really meaningful … imo … probably larger and heavier and necessarily Inspire territory.

Also needs to be supported by data rates that will have most SD cards smoking!

Sometimes, the fact that one can do something doesn’t necessarily mean that one should.

I dunno. You hardly ever hear of anyone actually flying their Evo 2 … :wink:

2 Likes

The “un-boxing” took two weeks … for some. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure DJI have their eye on EASA regs… I’d expect something in the sweet spot in terms of weight and photographic/videography demands.

There might me some future proofing with 6/8k, but I think that’s largely academic.

I can tell the difference between 1080p and 4k. I don’t think my old eyes will let me discern more.

Ned

1 Like

DroneXL, DroneDJ, Haye Kesteloo, etc, should give people free pinches of salt with every page view.

3 Likes

Still, this is a rumours and speculation thread I guess so it’s probably in the right place :rofl:

3 Likes

I struggle to understand the need to go to 8k. Cropping, zooming Yes I get that but visually what can the average human eye see.
I’d much prefer 4K with a sensor that can cope with more stops.
Low light grain free video much more appealing to me.

4 Likes

I totally agree and it goes a bit further as manipulating 8k video files and photos takes much more processing power that many PC’s would struggle to cope with.

1 Like

Could it possibly just be at this stage that the traditional consumer drone options have been exhausted? As shown in this thread many consumers are wise to the fact that MegaPixel count is irrelevant and what is more important is the quality of the glass in front of the sensor and the ability of the sensor to dynamically differentiate the value of the photons bombarding it. There will still be some who will embrace high pixel count specifications but more for the bragging rights , “mine’s bigger than yours”, when in actuality it will only benefit bees and butterflies which see more bandwidth in the electromagnetic spectrum than our basic oculars can.

For drones to make a larger impact on everyday consumers the tech now needs to offer more than it being just another kind of flying camera. This is possibly why the most prominent manufacturers have diverted most of their R&D budgets into enterprise systems to create systems that offer greater functionality more tailored to advanced tasks.

DJI, Parrot, and Yuneec really need to break from the consumer drone norm and come out with something wholly unique, a killer app if you will, or they could go the same way Nokia, Blackberry, Ericsson did when some new kids on the block (Samsung and Apple) reinvented the mobile phone concept.

4 Likes

With registration and licensing now a thing in all the major markets. I’d suggest the “innovation” will mostly happen with the smallest unregistered, unrestricted drones that can meet EASA C0 or equivalent. So Mavic Mini etc.

The crossover IMHO will be C1 class that becomes the enthusiast sector e.g. Mavic Air, whilst the bigger stuff will be increasingly focused on the needs of semi-pro and enterprise users. I’d half expect DJI to consider payload flexibility and increased take-off weight for future full size Mavic’s. If the device is going to operate in the Open A2 category as C2 device then bumping up the weight (and possibly size) suddenly makes at lot of sense. Keeping the size/weight down is far less important when operating in the specific category.

2 Likes

Phantom 5 & 5Pro? :thinking:

Moved this over from a 30 month old thread about the M2P rumours.

1 Like

Thank you, I just noticed the date :joy::man_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

I’ve heard rumours that the Phantom range is ending.

2 Likes

:scream: ohh! Thinking Mavic 3 & 3pro then :smirk::+1:t4:

Could be. M1P was 4 years ago (Nov), M2P was 2 years ago (Oct) … and there have been other pieces of espionage that show a battery that wasn’t in the MA2 or the Mini.

I think the MA2 and an M3 will be so good that there’s little to achieve in a new Phantom … just speed, perhaps. So even a new Inspire for top end is possibly overdue a new model release.

1 Like

Phantoms are big lumps to carry round too, everyone wants portability I suppose.

1 Like

The non-portability of my P2 was the main reason I got bored with it, and ordered the M1P the instant it was announced.

Non-portability is the realm of the pro - and pros need top cameras = new Inspire. … possibly,

2 Likes

Another one for @PingSpike ‘s collection :smirk: