DJI Mini 2 firmware updates

There’s a chance they fixed some edge case where the drone would fly better or safer in some strange set of circumstances. However with no detailed information, we can’t make an informed decision. The best we know is, it’s likely going to break Drone-shacks and can’t be rolled back.

As far as I can tell the sole reason for this update is to break drone hacks. I have purchased the drone, it and it’s software belong to me, if I want to modify it with 3rd party hacks, that is my decision and my responsibility not someone sitting behind a computer screen in China trying to control what I do with my property. If they want to improve the product and pass those improvements on to me they are free to do that just as I am free to decline those improvements.

2 Likes

It will stop it, like i said before, its the only reason for the update

1 Like

I’ve had a few peeps try to tell me that according to DJI’s T&C’s I accepted that I was not permitted to modify the Drone or anyway or its supporting SW/FW. When I’ve asked them to show me the clause I become bombarded with tumbleweed.

Like any rational person’s thinking I bought the drone, I did not lease it, and therefore I’m free to use it how I want and where I want, subject to local legislation.

2 Likes

You’re right but if you put in a warranty or refresh claim, I wouldn’t think they’d accept it.

You need to ask someone that did then, aka @clinkadink :wink:

2 Likes

My drone is out of warranty and as i said I accept the responsibility and consequences.

1 Like

I’ve been using DJI stuff since 2011/12 and not used any of their warranties. When I buy one of their products new I purchase it knowing I’m going to modify it, one way or another, and that any warranty is void. That’s why I generally go the used and “spares or repairs” route unless I can get a significant discount on RRP.

2 Likes

I sent mine back hacked, and received the replacement 2 days later. They don’t care if it’s been hacked.

4 Likes

This is in no way directed at you, Wayne, but instead in reference to the first video you linked to.

I think there’s a saying along the lines of “A little knowledge is a dangerous thing”. By that I’m referring to the comment the uploader made about satellite acquisition times, and the number of satellites required to produce the home point update. The only way the two demonstrations would have any validity is if the satellites were in geo-synchronous orbit. However these satellites are moving quite fast in relation to the Earth’s surface and chances are that different satellites, with different relative geometry and distance from the receiver, would have been used in both examples. So the conclusion of the test only demonstrates that there is no one firmware that produces a quicker and more accurate satellite position and home point update.

I didn’t go any further into the video as by that time I’d been subjected to two double doses of un-clickable mid-role adverts and I’d lost the will to live.

3 Likes

I’d actually very much doubt that satellite acquisition is anything to do with DJI (or other drone manufacturer) firmware. AFAIK … GPS receiver chips are complete units that have power in, and fully resolved GPS data out. The chips are as sourced.

3 Likes

Here is proof that is wrecks the Drone Hacks exploit.

Surely Drone Hacks will be working their nuts off getting round this new update though?

1 Like

Hope so.

1 Like

I would think so - nothing is impossible.

They found an exploit in DJI FPV 01.02.0015 firmware which supposedly closed off the downgrade.

I will definitely get the DH for the Mini 2. Currently, was using https://www.drone-tweaks.com. I flew about 1.2 Kilometre and it dropped to 3 bars - with likely a lot of WiFI hotspots.

Given that it is a hacked/modified version of the iOS DJI Fly application. I think’d prefer the Drone hacks version as I think they’re are other hacks you apply as well at the same time.

They allow you to remove DJI’s restrictive NFZ. Preflight, you would check on Drone Scene to see if your flight would be in a CAA FRZ, and make your own decisions, without having to unlock anything with DJI.

I sent my Mini 2 back to DJI under warranty, DJI replaced it with a refurb (different serial number) and Drone Hacks were quick to respond and allow me to apply their code to the new drone.

More details and a discount code available in the members only area.

2 Likes

Have you had a bit of a crash?
You kept that quiet :shushing_face:

Full story: I bought a refurbed “as new”, black Friday deal, plus eBay discount, Mini 2.

When it arrived there was no box, but otherwise felt brand new. DJI let me register it and said it it was 100 days old at that point.

I bought it to fly in more places than my Mavic Air 2 was permitted, and did Drone-Hacks to help with this.

BUT it had a gimbal calibration error. It was okay for photos, I would do manual gimbal calibration mid flight. However videos would go askew mid-roll.

After a few months of ownership, I filled the DJI forms. I had not paid for DJI Care Refresh. I told them where and when I bought it, and they paid for the shipping both ways.

I removed the Drone-Hacks code before shipping back but I don’t feel it would have been a problem to leave it in place.

And I have a slightly newer refurb Mini 2. Drone-Hacks was very quick to reset my account when I showed them the Mini 2 was replaced under warranty.

It took aaages from door to door though. DJI were reasonably efficient, but UPS really dragged their heels on both ends.

Has there been any experience using the latest DJI Mini 2 FW and the Drone-Tweaks FCC app ?

My DJI Mini 2 was automatically upgraded by mistake.

1 Like

It’s fine the hack should work as expected, it’s the Dronehacks exploit that is affected by the latest FW

1 Like