DJI Mini 2 Zoom Stills

Does anyone know what the zoom range is for the Mini 2? I know that the lens has 35mm equivalence of 24mm however I’m not sure whether the zoom is linear when shooting still images.

Related, what would the effective mega pixel count be zoomed in? Logically speaking I would have thought 6MP but again this info doesn’t seem to be in the book. The zoomed images appear to have the same pixel dimensions (4000x3000) and focal length (4.49mm) in LR but the quality is reduced so LR doesn’t help much.

I also know that it is digital zoom and as such best avoided except when necessary. I’m putting together a video on image quality but also just curious.

Thought maybe you had a newer manual than me then, but you don’t; that doesn’t answer any of the questions. :wink:

1 Like

Really???

Maybe I should have put more emphasis on “still”.

Those are all video resolution.

1 Like

As it’s a digital zoom, my inclination would be to say “zero” :thinking: :man_shrugging:t2:

It’s no different from just cropping a picture manually in LR?

I have no evidence to back this up, it’s only a theory which I’m more than happy to discuss!

2 Likes

I’d agree :+1:

1 Like

That is true in absolute terms, I guess as its a 2x zoom it would become the same field of view as a 48mm (35mm eqv). Then it would also follow that the MP’s halve as well, just wondered if anyone had any other take on it.

2 Likes

I don’t believe that is the case now, with modern image processing camera firmware. In order to make up the pixel count in the digitally zoomed image, extra interpolated pixels are added and I understand that gives a better result than a simple centre crop. Of course, if you compare a post cropped raw with a digitally zoomed jpg, I’m guessing the cropped raw would win.
What I would like to know is whether a cropped image from the Air 2, with its high pixel count sensor, would equal an optical zoom image from the Mavic zoom.

1 Like

I think the Air 2 uses several images composited to achieve its high pixel count if I understand it correctly, therefore presumably you would get a crop of a 48mp image rather than a 12mp image.

Yes, that’s right, so I wonder which would give the best image. I’m sure someone will do a test before long.

Flying closer would give the best image possible ;o)

2 Likes

Indeed it would, which makes a great case for the Mini2 !

2 Likes

But it disappears from view sooner than a larger drone would. :smiley: