Dji MM2 filters?

I have had many drones in the past but now only have the Dji MM2 , which I absolutely love…

My question is, do ND Filters make my photos quality better or is it not worth buying …

I have watched many videos but cannot seem to make up my mind, after reading some feedback from people after purchasing ND Filters online, saying there is no difference…

I would just like to have a honest opinion, are they worth it or not?

1 Like

For photos, no

4 Likes

So Nd Filters only apply to video footage… Thank you leeheyes!

1 Like

Have to disagree… ND filters are a god send when it comes to photography, many fantastic photos are shot with ND filters attached.

I’ve personally used them for just as much photography as I have in videos.

Shooting a photo into direct sunlight youd definitely benefit from NDs.

2 Likes

Mcsteamy , so you think they are well worth purchasing then, I am in two minds … bit if it makes a big difference then I may just go ahead and try them for myself …
Thank you for your input…

On a ground based camera I’d agree, in fact I always have a variable ND in my camera bag. For me, with a drone I’ve had better results with AEB (or faking AEB myself). This camera is moving all the time and a gimbal only does so much.

Again, just my view. Here’s a couple into the sun with no filters

7 Likes

Sorry, stuffed up the edit :rofl:

1 Like

Excellent photos , stunning :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Fantastic shots. :heart_eyes: Taken on the M2P though. The beauty of adjustable apertures and exposures. Not quite so lucky on the OP’s mini 2.

1 Like

Thanks - you’ve little to lose by trying it if you’re on the fence. I spent a fortune on some cinematic polarized filters once and got some good results, but generally I wasn’t happy. See if you can pick a couple up second hand and try.

2 Likes

Yes I will look see whats around … they are expensive I agree … thanks

What I would say though is tools don’t maketh the man.

Your shooting, processing and editing skills may well be really good (I have no idea) but I fell in to the trap of thinking more kit made me better simply because it was more kit or what someone else used and took good photos. Give a good photographer basic stuff and they’ll still get a better picture than me. I got better pics once I sat down and learned how to take and process better pics - and I still wouldn’t class myself as good - but they’re better than they were.

1 Like

I have to agree with @leeheyes Steve. I shoot into the sun with my M2P all the time and never use ND filters for photography, only for video. An ND filter only reduces the amount of light reaching the sensor, e.g. you may want to do this if you want to shoot at a wider aperture on a bright sunny day.

4 Likes

doable on a fixed aperture of the mini though?

this is all a learning curve for me too so keep bringing the info lol

2 Likes

Even Italian mid-summer sun was never an issue with my MP.

Nor even the >40°C air temp … and I could use some of that warmth right now. :+1:

3 Likes

No problem on my MP

2 Likes

this is interesting…
I was always under the impression that if I say wanted to shoot in f4.0 but the only way to get the shot I want was to switch the aperture down to f11 I’d then have to use a filter to get back to the f4.0.

2 Likes

You still have ISO and shutter speed at your disposal.

4 Likes

I was going to get a MM2 Steve, you’ve put me right off one now :joy: didn’t know it had fixed aperture.
So even with a fixed aperture, I’m assuming you can control the shutter speed? Just keep your iso at 100 and adjust your shutter speed to get the correct exposure.

3 Likes

didn’t realise it would make that much of a diference…
I’m going to have to play now :+1:

I know your supposed to keep it at iso100 or as near as aren’t you?

2 Likes