DJI Smart Controller update. Air 2 enabled but some setup issues. Fixed!

There is an update v01.00.0820 for the DJI Smart Controller which provides support for the Air 2. I don’t have one but use my SC with a Mavic Pro 2 so the update is relevant to me as well.

When you start off the update on the SC (BEST NOT TO, READ ON FIRST) you may well get a number of network errors and the download stops. However if you select Continue Download each time it eventually, at least in my case settles down and downloads with a further hiatus at 99% where further network errors and a very long think occurred. This is where luck steps in. Some users e.g. there is a Billy Kyle video which shows similar behaviour but when the SC restarts the update actually completes. Lucky b******. Mine and others simply goes back to 99% complete and does NOT update.

The solution to avoid this or sort out the failed attempt is to use DJI Assistant 2 for PC or Mac which is now at v2.0.14. As I posted elsewhere my PC would not even see the SC when connected. I remembered that I had similar nonsense when the early January issue update was put out 3 times by DJI until they got one which worked. There was a workaround I found and posted I think here as well as the DJI Pilots forum which involved a factory reset. On this occasion this is not needed.

Assistant 2 will work but only with a couple of arcane settings in the deepest recesses of the SC settings. When that is sorted the SC will be recognised by your PC and you can do the update from there successfully or indeed go back a version or 2 if needed.

The settings in the SC needed are buried in Developers Mode which by default is not ON. This was my issue as it clearly was last time I did an update and looks as though it got reset possibly after the last update.

To enable DEVELOPER OPTIONS, open the Settings screen, scroll down to the bottom, and tap ABOUT REMOTE CONTROLLER and then go down to last item which is a bunch of text headed SYSTEM (or BUILD) VERSION. Tap SYSTEM VERSION 7 times in succession (no I’m not taking the p***) and you will get a message about Dev Mode/Options. Say OK. Now when you back out to the main Settings menu and scroll back to the System section you will find a link setting for Dev Mode/Options indicated by {} Developer Options. Tap that option. Then follows a long list of settings grouped again in sections. You need to find the DEBUGGING section half way down-ish. Then select USB DEBUGGING and set “Debug Mode when USB connected” to ON with a tap. When you do so a pop-up window appears with 3 radio button options. The crucial one you want to set it to is CHARGING ONLY - the first option. This doesn’t seem natural(?) but it is the one you need.

After all this ridiculous kerfuffle you should be able to connect your PC to the SC and use Assistant 2!

I am not aware of any fix in situ for the SC. I also have no idea why some are lucky with an in situ update of the SC. This was exactly the same at the January update. Worked for some not for others so beware of smart ar*** who post “it worked for me”.

Good luck. Who knows one day DJI may get their act together and sort their Android stuff out. I have worked and taught computing since for ever and have sufficient experience to know how to troubleshoot c***. I have no idea how the average Joe who just wants to charge everything up and fly gets around all this avoidable nonsense. Anyway HTH those who get stuck with this.

SUMMARY:

For those new to all this even if you use Assistant 2 it is not without a suggestion of glitches. There are 3 processes. Download to PC, Transfer to SC and then Update on SC.

You may possibly get the pop-up with the 3 USB options if notifications is ticked in Dev Options. As long as it says Charging Only you are good to go. A bit puzzling why this as if not set correctly the PC doesn’t even see the SC! Anyway it is working if you see it.

I had a network error early on when I decided to stick a network cable into the laptop in case WiFi wasn’t stable. Android/DJI networking is not exactly the best at times, Just clicking Continue was enough to carry on. The 3 stages are lengthy. The last one where the SC updates is very lengthy and can appear to be stuck for periods e.g. mine was on 16% for several minutes and then other %-age estimates could change quickly. At 98% there was a very long pause this was while the SC was doing its updating and re-booting. You will likely get a report that network is iffy and click to continue/sort it out. This is essentially telling you that the contact between PC and SC is temporarily disconnected and the icon for the SC in the PC Assistant also disappears. It will re-appear when the SC finally does its final reboot and initialises and reconnects stably with the PC. At this point you should find all is well and for those lucky to have an Air 2 you will find DJI Fly awaiting with v1.1.6. My Go 4 is at v4.3.36 and controller now at 01.00.0820.

Lengthy post but a lot to take in and a few pitfalls on the way but all good FOR NOW!

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: DJI Smart Controller Firmware