DJI Smart Controller v2 (RC Pro)

A thread to discuss the DJI Smart Controller v2.

If today’s leaks are real, there is a new DJI Smart Controller on the horizon, which I think everyone suspected anyway. Most will probably also agree a new SC is overdue now anyway.

Sadly it looks like there will only be a 1000nits model of the v2 and not an Ultra at 2000nits.

Sooooo…

Do we think this one will ONLY run DJI Fly? And not the old GO4 app? :thinking:

It will probably Occusync 3 only … as it says … “features OS 3” … :rofl:

1 Like

Limiting its backwards compatibility with some existing drone models even further :grimacing:

2 Likes

Hopefully … they give it OS 1, 2 AND 3! But I equally doubt it.

I mean … “featuring” doesn’t have to exclude earlier versions?

1 Like

So I assume it will only run on Air 2 onward released drones then ?

I think you mean Air 2S which has Ocusync 3.0, whereas the Air 2 has 2.0.

Even though Ocusync is just software, it utilises the hardware within the drone, such as antennas, amplifiers, signal processors and video encoders/decoders. Therefore, it is doubtful that the Ocusync 3.0 could be back ported to older drones that lack this hardware.

Source

1 Like

DJI Smart Controller v2 now on the FCC database: https://fccid.io/SS3-RM51021

It’s labelled as the DJI RC Pro.

If the early pictures are true, it is a missed opportunity by DJI to make the SC 2 better, I would have liked a larger screen, like the new Autel one, the screen is far better

Wonder if someone clever will hack it to work with DJI drones as well :thinking:

1 Like

The hardware / radio comms / chips won’t be physically compatible between the Autel and the DJI kit :confused:

They’re not even compatible between certain models of the same make :grimacing:

Wishful thinking then :rofl:

2 Likes

I was going to buy the new Dji RC pro controller but I have recently discovered that its range and power output in the UK is much lower than the output in the US as the rules in the EU and UK limit the output to 20db. The US limit is over 36 db which is higher than the standard RC N1 and will give US users a greater range and better performance. So anybody buying this device in the UK to work with their Air 2S or Mavic 3 (and possibly other new drones like the Mini 3 when it arrives) is not going to notice much difference from a control and range point of view as the power output of the RC pro is about the same as the N1 controlller . I have since purchased a Tripltek 8" tablet which seems to me to be a better option as it has a larger screen and is even brighter. I wonder if any one else has come to the same conclusion.

1 Like

I think this is common knowledge @garethw832

Were you expecting it to run at FCC power levels?

If you want Fcc you should mod the drone :wink:

1 Like

I dont think it is common knowledge to new drone flyers. It is not mentioned in any of the videos that have been posted. Most of the official videos refer to distances that only apply in the US and Canada. Has anybody used the Drone tweaks FCC app.

Big thread all of its own :wink:

Why would it be? :man_shrugging:t2:

DJI never touted the SCv1 or the RC Pro as offering any improved transmission performance over the standard / included remote for any drone.

The same applies for every drone they’ve ever made. It’s not until you get to the small print of the specs that you’ll see the differences in power levels.

A far bigger issue for the RC Pro is the lack of backwards compatibility, the screen size, and the lack of nits :confused:

1 Like

I WAS in ignorance of this difference. I think most new drone flyers are also not aware. You are right .lt is in the small print but the uk dji website should make more of this. It is not obvious and the 12km claim is obviously misleading. I know that nobody would fly at that distance, but the more powerful the transmissions the longer the control and the video stream will be maintained. I wonder if the the hacks to the dji fly app are safe. I guess they just make a small patch to the code to get round the issue as the hardware is the same in the drone and the control unit in the UK and the US. I see in some countries the 5.2 GHz band is not allowed.

2 Likes