Do you routinely use RTH - poll

Myself I have only used RTH in an emergency ( app crashed on my old iphone ) but I understand some people routinely use it to get the drone back to them, then either let it land too or land manually.

How would you class your use of it ?

• Use RTH every flight but land manually
  • Use RTH every flight inc. landing
  • Often use RTH
  • Rarely use RTH e.g. only in an emergency
  • Occasionally use RTH

0 voters

3 Likes

Never used it, never had the need to, maybe in an emergency? Nice to know it’s available if I do need it though.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Never had to initiate RTH option , sometimes kicks in if my battery gets low but then I cancel option and return manually …in hindsight though should perhaps use it now and again to confirm it functions ok…Alan

1 Like

I was thinking that myself. I’d be rightly shat upon if I did need it at some point, only to discover it wasn’t working. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’m just Lazy I always use RTH Inc landing :rofl: especially on the Air2 with its precise RTH pretty much always lands back on my landing pad without fail but I do always check the home point on the map and also let it hover above the home point for a good 30 odd seconds before actually taking it off anywhere so that it’s vision sensors get a good image for its precise RTH.

With my Mini I just hit RTH then once its back I take over and hand catch it.

Got to be honest I use RTH most of the time with my MP2 as its landing is accurate, most of the time to within a few inches of actual take off point, tested the same on my new DJI FPV and its still pretty damn good at landing, not at good as the MP2 but very close.

1 Like

Doesn’t the constant beeping get on your nerves ?

1 Like

Can’t say as I’ve noticed, to be honest I have my phone on silent as it’s a drone phone so it never makes a sound it doesn’t even say home point has been up dated please check it on the map :rofl:

Chaos ensues.

1 Like

Same.

RTH is reserved for showing the unwashed how effing awesome it is. It serves no other purpose. :+1:

2 Likes

Myself and @OzoneVibe are of the same mind.

I don’t think I’ve ever used the auto RTH feature of any of my drones other than to demonstrate the feature to someone else. I’ve used the intelligent RTH feature in Arducopter as a prank a few times. When this mode is engaged the drone retraces its path back to the launch point, matching the speed, altitude, and bearing it flew on its journey out. It gives the freaky impression that the drone has become self aware.

2 Likes

I rarely use it as I often find I need to adjust my landing point and so much prefer to land manually. Even when I’ve used it in an emergency to get the drone back, I’ve cancelled it when close to landing and flown the last bit myself.

2 Likes

Rarely use just to make sure its working - never know when I’m really going to need it but just like to know I can depend on when absolutely essential. Far more fun flying it back manually - need as much practice as I can get :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I only tend to use it now, when I have lost the drone! :joy: :joy:

I then cancel it and regain VLOS and continue flying or manually RTH.

3 Likes

Exactly this !!! :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up:

The beeping is too much to use if you don’t really need to… Surely?!!

1 Like

Definitely

I have never used my RTH as of yet, I could do with testing the RTH one day but I like to stay in control

1 Like

I’ve used it when for whatever reason I cannot decide if my drone is facing away from me towards me or an any other angle, if the scenery does not make it easy to work out looking at the screen. All within VLOS of course, but once I’ve got my bearings I usually revert to manual flying

1 Like

I use it sometimes when I am bored, because it can :artificial_satellite: and I do like watching it come home :grinning:

I never let it land, always manually do it :wink:

A classic example of Near Disaster.RTH, not paying attention, looked up to see the drone, then saw it out of the corner of my eye descending where I did not want it. I admit I panicked , but caught it just almost as it hit the ground, If it had landed there’s no way to get to where it was. Lesson learnt, always be aware of where the drone is.
Near Disaster

2 Likes