Dorman Long, Middlesbrough. Demolition site update 6th March 2022

Hello All,

I managed to get out again this morning to keep an eye on the old Dorman Long steel works in Middlesbrough. Here’s the link

When I was flying close to the power I lost connection to the RC. The drone started to return to the homepoint as I expected. On it’s return I tilted the camera down and the drone stopped in it’s tracks. Is this normal?
It did return eventually but it took it’s time to decide what to do !

Not very confidence inspiring but I suppose it’s my own fault for flying near to power lines :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Were you flying a Mavic Air 2?

1 Like

I was flying at lunchtime, a Mavic Air 2 — which is the same model as you have listed in your profile — to test what can is permitted during automatic RTH.

I flew until I reached the limit of the RC signal range, the video feed froze, so I took my hands off the sticks and waited. The drone started its RTH procedure, then video feed returned. I was able to alter the gimbal angle with the wheel on the controller, and it continued to RTH.

I asked it to yaw left and right and it would not. I asked it to change altitude and it did. I moved the Tripod | Normal | Sport slider over by one click and the drone cancelled RTH.

I then continued my flight as normal.

I am on the latest firmware and app.

So it looks like it is NOT normal for the drone to cancel RTH when the camera is tilted.

Yes, best to avoid power lines. I’m not confident at all the drone can see them, and I’m not certain I would be good at judging distance to avoid them. And they might affect signal strength.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. It looks like I was flying too close to the power lines and they were confusing the controller.