Drone/Aircraft Near Miss

1 Like

Bollox how the hell did he hear a drone over his own aircraft noise?
More than likely got a wobbie in his cockpit before take off buzz buzz, seriously that pilot needs psych help if he truly believes he heard a drone

2 Likes

You canā€™t hear your own aircraft when youā€™re exceeding Mach 1. :laughing:

Actually - having flown small jets - they are remarkably quiet from the pilotā€™s seat.

But - they have helmets with snug fitting headphones ā€¦ and when wearing those youā€™d not even hear yourself fart.

1 Like

It would be like at an air show on a low fly past where the pilot says he heard his wife and kids screaming at him, never in a million years, and exactly why they donā€™t fit mics on a drone, all youā€™d hear would be noise

Good old GoPro on my P2 days ā€¦ awesome soundtrack ā€¦ not.

HQ Air Command commented in the report that the drone was operating legally

Strange that this isnā€™t the headline and itā€™s buried in the shite.

3 Likes

DJIFPV has ;o)

2 Likes

Having flown a De Havilland T10 Mk2 for several months at an airfield where several De Havilland Jet Provost 4 were keeping the AT school on their toes ā€¦ the first most significant difference, even taxying, was just how quiet the jet was from the cockpit compared to hearing them from the ground.

And they never really got a lot louder - take-off being discernable.

Main noise the whole flight (and those in Jet Provost 4 and 5, and Folland Gnat) was the gentle hiss of the air/oxygen into the face mask.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve read and re read this, where does the pilot say he heard a buzzing noise (the drone pilot does)

The drone operator told the board how two-minutes after take-off,
they heard a "distant buzzing", before the Texan appeared "from a 
bend in the valley, over the trees" where they were standing
1 Like

My bad I read the headline and went straight to the comments, not liking the Express I assumed the worst

ā€œSPLIT SECOND TERRORā€, the pilot didnā€™t know about it until days after!!!
Typical media, canā€™t be bothered to print the truth, so make it up!

2 Likes

And, they say NOTAM stands for ā€œNotice to Air Missionsā€. It does in the States and the first result that pops up in Google! In good old UK, stands for ā€œNotice to Airmenā€.
Couldnā€™t be bothered to check that the information theyā€™re using is from another countryā€™s regulatory body, (FAA compared to CAA).

2 Likes

Careful ,Mark we canā€™t have you speaking common sense on hereā€¦ :rofl: :rofl: How very dare youā€¦
Was the pilots name Ken , by any chance ??? :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

The secondary headline infers it was the RAF pilot that heard the buzzing.

Itā€™s just typical shit reporting standards these days.

1 Like

That is what I read first, which made me think it was a Brit and when in the sky, even the comments on the papers website were cursing the paper for false reporting

The whole article is pointless, the pilot is quoted as stating it was ā€˜low riskā€™ despite the click bait headline. It was the drone pilot who reported the incident, I guess to cover their own arse.

1 Like

Yesā€¦it used to be NOTAM but changedā€¦The following is from Googleā€¦seems to be a gender thing.

Some members of the pilot community have taken to social media to mock the change: but it represents an important ongoing effort by the FAA to modernize their language and systems to accomodate a variety of flyers and aircraft. ā€œAir Missionā€ is not only gender neutral, :rofl: :rofl: but also more accurately describes drone operations ā€“ and the operation of other aircraft possibly as yet undefined.

The main thing to take away from this is that when in low flying areas, you need to expect other aicraft to be in your operational area and be prepared for it.

I think it should be mandatory when operating in these low flying training areas to raise a NOTAM regardless of what height you intend to operate at.

I have 2 commercial drone flights in the very location this article refers to, so will call RAF Valley to give them a heads up, despite not being in RAF Valley FRZ.

It is an issue that the CAA needs to resolve.

2 Likes

Notamsā€¦ They were the bain of my life for 27 years in ATC/AIS I read/handled/filed and published 250k of the bloody things a year not to mention the SNOWtams for winter conditions on airfields/runways!! from European airports/airfields. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thatā€™s some going, over 1000 a day, did you ever ask for piece work :wink: