Drone and Model Aircraft Code: updated for 2021

Yes, online theory test and self declaration of practical training.

@ianinlondon I’ve ignored the 900g boundary as that only applies to classified drones, C1, C2 etc, none of which exist yet. The CAA have said repeatedly that legacy drones will not get retroactively classified. So my chart covers the drones we already have: you can essentially ignore all the lines that say C2 etc in the CAA chart for now.

The A2 CofC training can be done entirely online, there is no need for an in-person flight test. The theory exam (multiple choice) is delivered via video call, and the “self-practical training” means using and learning how to fly your drone safely, and signing an online form stating that you’ve done so.

I fly a Mavic 2 Zoom, I’m currently taking the A2 CofC so that I can fly legally in and closer to (quiet!) congested areas from January. This could include parks and industrial estates when people aren’t around, for example. I do like a nice industrial estate :wink: That will only last until the end of 2022, but 2 years is a decent time to justify the investment.

I doubt the Mavic 3 will have MTOM below 900g, but if it is more than that you would still be able to fly it close to people in urban areas (>5m) if low-speed mode is activated. The key issue for the 900g boundary is not so much proximity to people but the need to have the A2 CofC.

None of that matters though for now while we only have legacy/unclassified drones available.

3 Likes

Aha yes… a minor point! I did read somewhere that despite their insistance that legacy drones will not get retrospective certification, the CAA are in fact discussing this possibility, but I’m not holding my breath. Bit crap to stuff everyone buying drones at the moment…
Now am I right that my PfCO will continue to act as an A2 CofC until it expires, letting me carry on flying my 2 Pro up to 50 m from uninvolved people and residential areas etc?

Hadn’t noticed the 500gm limit; maybe I won’t sell my original Mavic Air quite yet…
Cheers again
Ian

3 Likes

The PfCO isn’t exactly the same as an A2 CofC but should mostly cover the same things. It may have greater restrictions e.g. 500m horizontal distance rather than pure VLOS; and some better aspects e.g. will usually cover heavier drones than the A2.

2 Likes

Looking for recommendations where to take the A2 CofC course … Loads of adverts on the Internet but it’s knowing which wants to trust…

See other threads:

I’ve just done mine with UAVHub and I can fully recommend their course and support. Got the course for £99 and their support throughout was excellent. :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Just placed a order to do it with UAVHub thanks for your help

1 Like

Does my 480 gram Hubsan H501S-S become a legacy drone in a few days or in 2 years and a few days?

Every drone ever made (to date) is a legacy drone.

3 Likes

Yes, as Pingspike said, all drones become legacy on 31st Dec. This means ALL models over 250 grams will only be able to be flown in A3 ("Far away from people - ie >50 m from any uninvolved people) and 150 metres away from any residential, industrial, commercial or recreational area. Unless you take a day’s training for the A2 C of C when you can then fly in the A1 category. For 2 years. then revert to A3 after the transition period ends. Not great…

1 Like

Just trying to get my head round why the drone safe website states w always have to keep 150 metres from residential, commercial, industrial and recreational areas, but then the A1 and A2 category from CAP2012 doesn’t mention those areas at all and just focusses on people being 50 m away…

Probably just another bit of the website that hasn’t been updated for the new regs… :man_facepalming:

1 Like

@kvetner So to be clear, is there any restriction on flying over residential / commercial / industrial / recreational areas now for A1 or A2 type flights? ie does that mean legacy Mavic Air 2 / 2 Pro etc can be flown within ‘congested areas’ if you have an A2 C of C for the transitional period as long as you stay 50m away from people?

That’s my understanding, yes. 50m away horizontally, which will often be pretty difficult in those areas.

And, to complicate things even more, the CAA recommend following the 1:1 rule (in CAP 722), i.e. that you stay at least as far from people horizontally as your height vertically. That’s not a legal requirement, but its what you’ll likely get taught on an A2 CofC course …

2 Likes

That’s what I thought, until I saw this updated page, which makes it pretty clear you can’t fly in residential etc areas unless you’re flying the Mini. But the page on CAP 2012 only states that for A3 flying, so we have a contradiction.

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/where-you-can-fly

The title at the top of that Web page reads:

For flying drones, model aeroplanes, model gliders, model helicopters, and other unmanned aircraft systems outdoors in the Open A1 and A3 categories

The new drone code is aimed at pilots without any training beyond the DMARES test. I think it’s a bit misleading that it doesn’t even mention the A2 option on this page (it does on one of the other pages), but it can’t be easy providing simple guidance to complex rules! :wink:

1 Like

To get to the information about A2, start at the Drone Code landing page:

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code#

Click the link to Getting what you need to fly legally:

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/getting-what-you-need-to-fly

That links you to this CAA overview page for UAS:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft-and-drones/

From there follow the link that reads Open Category operations - How the regulations apply to you:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Flying-in-the-open-category/

Bingo!

4 Likes

Very misleading…

No! And that’s what I’m trying to do now in a sub 10 minute video… :rofl:
Cheers again
Ian

3 Likes

Nice! Definitely would love to see the video when it’s done :slight_smile:

3 Likes