Drone flight area restrictions

Hi all, very new to drone flying and need some advice. I’m sure it has already been covered before so please point me in the right direction.

I have researched a little about restricted areas particularly around airports. Not that I want to photograph an airport but some interesting areas nearby. eg, Bramber Castle near Shoreham(Brighton) Airport.

The photo is from “No Fly Drones” website and I am a little confused about the outer BLUE areas around the airports. I have included the description. Is it safe or allowed to fly within these areas without notifying Air Traffic control? I would probably only be flying at a maximum of 60-80ft as I am a beginner.

1 Like

Hi Mark
As it says in your illustration “anything below 7kg does not need prior permission but is still advised to notify air traffic control”
So you can fly within the Blue outer zone if you follow the drone code with your phantom 2 which is 1.3 ish kg so below the 7.5 but for me it is good practice to notify the ATC anyway it’s the cost of a phone call and is good for our community
Hope this helps you

Jeff

2 Likes

I agree with Jeff, better to make a call to ATC than start off on the wrong foot.

1 Like

Thanks guys