Drone flying for payment

Hi all, I’m an event photographer who has recently purchased a Mini 2 drone initially, for pleasure but have been asked by a number of people if I can photograph their home/farm for which payment will be given. I have a Flyer and Operator ID through the CAA. Any advice would be welcome. Thanking you in advance. Paul

2 Likes

You’ll need an A2 as a bare minimum, and I’d get some insurance.

Ned

4 Likes

Actually, could someone confirm that?

The OP is describing activity which I believe would fall under the A1 subcategory.

I’m also aware that there is no differentiation between ‘leisure’ and ‘commercial’ drone flights.

However, I think the CAA want to see a level of pilot competence for any commercial work…

Ned

2 Likes

Thank you Ned

Though the classes and categories are still the same, insurance is still required for commercial operations. 3rd party cover to a minimum of ~£750k and has to be EC785/2004 compliant.

I honestly don’t know how easy or difficult it will be to get valid insurance for commercial flights without some kind of certification, and if you do need certification I don’t know if the A2 CofC is going to cut it with the insurers. I’d guess they’ll want to see proof of competency even if the CAA doesn’t.

2 Likes

Paul

I have come into drone working through a similar route, commercial and event photographer, What sort of events do you shoot?

a couple of years ago did my pfco and renewed once , probably going to renew again in April when it is due. I am still unsure of how the new regs effect me and especially new professionals but you will definitely need some form of certification if you are earning from flights and imagery.

Also insurance is a must at least 5 million 3rd party. Last year when I was working a lot I had annual insurance through drone cover but since covid just paying when I fly through flock.

Sorry can’t be more help.

Good luck

1 Like

Pretty sure Flock will cover it without an A2 CofC.

3 Likes

Hi Lee, you’ve been very helpful, thank you

Thank you

If you are new to flying drones, would permission to fly on their land be payment enough? (Until you have the proper requirements for charging a fee).
There is a drone membership club where you are covered by £5 million insurance for £20 per year.

1 Like

FPVUK but it won’t cover commercial work

4 Likes

@PaulBee You don’t need the A2CofC if you’re using the Mini or Mini 2 as they’re sub 250gm models that can be flown inside congested areas without any training (you don’t even need to do the Flyer ID test (altho it’s free and easy), but as they have a camera you need to register the £9 OPerator ID).

The rules do indeed mention 3rd party liability insurance needed for planned commercial work. The flying club policies like FPVUK are hobbyist only; Coverdrone & Flock offer on-demand cover which can work out cheaper:
https://flockcover.com/insurance/commercial-drone-insurance

Cheers, Ian

6 Likes

No need, as commercial insurance is possible with the mini 2 without this.

Obviously if @PaulBee decided to add a larger drone to his company then he would.

1 Like

Hi @ianinlondon

Following my initial response, which you quoted, I followed up on that, asking for clarification as I wasn’t 100% sure. Thank you for your input.

In CAP 722, section 2.1.3.3 Congested Areas…

UAS flights within these ‘congested’ areas may only be undertaken:
• by UA that are deemed to be small enough to not present a hazard;
• by UA that have been built to specific product safety standards;
Note: in both of the cases above, additional remote pilot competency
requirements may also be required.

It’s the ‘note’ that has drawn my attention.

1. What might that additional remote pilot competency requirement be and…
  2. How would an operator find out if that was/wasn’t required?

I fully understand that you don’t write these CAPs - jeez, if you did, things would probably be a lot clearer!

Ned

2 Likes

@Ned Apols Ned; I wasn’t calling you out, just giving a technical answer to Paul! :slight_smile:

CAP2012 is the easiest place to find this stuff out as it’s just 1 page. The additional training can either be the online test you do at flyer registration (DMARES) or the A2CofC depending on what class of drone and what type of flight you’re doing.
It’s one of the rare documents from the CAA that’s simple, clear and makes sense!

Cheers
Ian
http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9954

4 Likes

Ha - you should, I need it sometimes!

Thanks for the link :+1:

Ned

2 Likes

As long as the drone remains sub 250g and you have the OP I’d affixed (DMARES) and you have relevant / sufficient insurance in place prior to the flight (it doesn’t need to be EC785/2004 compliant in this instance) your good to go…

The moment you add anything to the drone and take it to 250g or above you will require A2CofC…

1 Like

No need, as commercial insurance is possible with the mini 2 without this.

It would be great to clarify this.
I’m in a similar position to the OP (planning to use a mini 2 for work).

I’ve been trying to get a straight answer from Flock about this. I think their current position is they do need at least the A2CofC - though they say they’re reviewing their policies.

I’ve actually gone ahead and got my A2CofC so hopefully I won’t have any problems getting commercial insurance - but would be useful to know the situation.

1 Like

What have they said when you’ve asked?

Have you got some info on that? Might help some folk here.

Ned