Drone flying for payment

coverdrone do this. Just to double check I did a new quote. They do not ask about any specific qualifications such as A2 CofC.

They ask…

Are you a member of any Industry Associations?
ARPAS-UK / AUD Established Operator / Drone Safe Register / Unmanned Aircraft Association of Ireland (UAAI) / Other

Have you passed a Ground School/Theory course?
Have you received appropriate training? / Have you passed a Flight Test?

Are you in possession of a ‘Permission to Fly’ from your national aviation authority?

I was able to say no to all and generate a commercial quote.

2 Likes

On the flock website it says:
"Flock’s insurance is EC785/2004 compliant and available to all commercial operators in the UK and Europe with the right permissions in place. This includes anyone completing the new A2 CofC and GVC training as well as existing PfCO holders.

As more information on new regulations becomes available we will update this page. If you have any queries in the meantime don’t hesitate to reach out to our team."

Make of that what you will.

Oh I thought you’d asked them to clarify…

I did - but the reply wasn’t particularly helpful. I asked whether you need to have an A2CofC to buy their insurance when flying a DJI Mini 2.

This is their reply:
At Flock, all of our policies are (EC)785/2004 compliant and CAA approved and will now cover all non-recreational (not flying for sport or hobby) flights. As long as the Insured has a minimum of Operator ID and Flyer ID and can prove that they are flying in accordance with their Category, you the even of a claim arise.

Flock currently does not provide insurance for pilots using their drones strictly for sporting and/or recreational purposes. However, if you intending to also use your UAS for non-recreational work (training etc) this is covered.

In regards to our website, we are currently in the midst of updating our quote flow to incorporate the A2 CofC, however I can confirm we are now accepting the A2 CofC as a level of competency for what we consider on the app commercial (to be updated non-recreational) cover.

Therefore should you have obtained a A1/A2 CofC, feel free to go through the the commercial (PfCO) route via our website

1 Like

So, with a mavic mini all you need is insurance but do you also need CAA permission for each flight like before? Commercially speaking?

You don’t need any CAA permission to fly commercially now. CAA permissions, if required, are now entirely about the nature of your flight and its safety risk.

6 Likes

Thx, I didn’t know that. As a newbie I’m here to learn.

2 Likes

Thank you Ian, very helpful

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi Paul, to do any commercial work you will require a third party insurance of up to £750.000 pounds in which case the insurance company will probably require you to posses A2cofc certificate, which is great education for the drone world and very satisfying to do, also nothing to difficult if you put the effort in, I have just done mine with a company online called UAVHUB, £100 excellent set up, probably complete in 2/3 days. Then the work won’t be a problem due to you being legal and you knowing the rules, without this you could possibly end up in trouble, hope this helps, Steve

3 Likes

Thank you for your advice and recommendation

Just on this I had a great chat with Flock. They confirmed that as long as my flight was within the law/drone code I wouldn’t need any extra qualifications.

I have a mini 2 and as such only have an op id and I also have a flyer id because why wouldn’t you?

They said as I can fly the mini 2 in the a1 open class all I would need to ensure that I comply with the drone code and get all relevant permissions (like when flying in an FRZ or NT etc type property) I would be covered by the policy.