Drone flying in Sorrento Italy

Looking to goto Italy in May and want to know can I fly my Spark or Air. I am aware that the Italians do have rules. Sorrento is not near any airports and I wasnt planning on flying very high anyway. maybe along the coastline.
Any advice would be helpful
Many thanks

@OzoneVibe has flown in Italy, I’m sure he’ll be able to advise :+1:

1 Like

Indeed I have.

Mainly (wherever I am) I use my “three golden rules of drone flying common sense”.

1. Launch/land somewhere really quiet with nobody about.
  2. Fly away from where people are, and NEVER low(ish) over them, and
  3. Make each flight as brief as possible.

In Italy I was mainly taking photos, not video, so a quick flight to position, take pics, land … was my routine.

These three rules meant I usually flew without anyone even knowing that I was there, let alone able to make a fuss or tell me that I shouldn’t be flying there.

Even at a few more touristy attractions (eg. even at Basilica of Francis of Assisi!), I was always able to find a quiet place to fly from.

Being mid summer, and REALLY hot, in Southern Italy, many sizable villages/towns are nearly deserted between midday and 3pm for their “siesta”. That proved to be an enormously useful window to satisfy my rules 1 & 2, even in the town squares of most hill-top villages … a particular passion of mine.

I was not in traditional touristy areas or in large cities, so I never saw a “No Drones” sign in 3 months. Sorrento … perhaps more touristy.
TBH - I did always look briefly for signs, but I never asked anyone. Asking only primes people to have an opinion, and then there’s the problem of knowing exactly who to ask.

In short - avoid pissing people off! :wink:

2 Likes

Fantastic response mate
I really appreciate it, sadly Spark only shoots at 30fps and Air shoots more and up to 4k. Guess take a chance, and maybe take the Air and abide by common drone rules and your comments.
Appreciate it 100%
Let you know when I get out of jail how I got on…LOL
Cheers
Barry

1 Like

I must admit that ,during 3 months, there were many instances where I wanted to fly, but didn’t … and kind of regret missing some great opportunities.

One time I was on a semi-motorway, and could see a stupendous castle off to the right. The road was really quiet and I was SO tempted to stop in the emergency layby and have a quick flight … but I resisted.

Sometimes I look back and think I was a tad too cautious … but that occasion was perhaps best to miss. :wink:

1 Like

Hi. I flew at Sorrento and Amalfi. Beautiful. No problem. Just flew as quick as possible to get to sea. Only issue I had was the phone got so hot it had CPU overload warning with jerky video. So I kept phone cool before flying. It was an iPhone 6. Not sure if this was pure heat or DJI Go App issue at the time.
Enjoy.

2 Likes

Just in the process of buying a CrystalSky monitor from “Jcborden” here on Grey Arrows so that should be no problemo
Barry

1 Like