DRONE mail - Orkney

…as for the photo of the pile of mail supposedly for the drone…

3 Likes

It’s a good and no doubt faster way of transporting the post, as it mentions taking 15 minutes (one way) they could do several trips a day.

I notice that they are starting to trial using drones to deliver chemo medicines to the IoW too:

The population is 72!! Rather think the mail would be about twice a week!
There are ywo ferries that operate a service from rwo different points for visitors…
The weather upo there is pretty naff in Winter…not too great at the best of times.

Considering the ferries would be going anyway I do wonder what the commercial cost of this would be.
I can’t believe it’s economical to do (I would love to know the cost per flight), but still interesting.
Looking at the size of the drone I would like to think it could operate in bad weather.

I seem to recall, from a totally unrelated program about the Orkney Islands on TV, that the mail goes on the small passenger plans.

Of course, there will also be flying in any case.

I’m uncertain about the frequency of either, particularly in the winter / non-tourist months, but perhaps that creates the be l need?

Post bump!ed

Even on DroneScene for your next visit planning

You are of course correct…I looked at the wrong place on Flightradar24
:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:
Guess the Airline operator is dumping the route for some reason (probably expense with such a small population except in summer (visitors?)).

1 Like

Plenty of flights …

Check Loganair website.

A bit pricey for a weekend jaunt … same fare price for the return flight.

2 Likes

How far could you get for same price ? It’s a sad game I play on a night shift :wink:

That’s for “in a few days” … slightly less than half that price at a sensible time into the future.

1 Like

Article states payload of 100kg, so that pile would probably be OK

1 Like

Amazon have been advertising jobs as delivery drone pilots in my town, seems interesting.

1 Like

Apparently the service is operated by Skyports.
Skyports will conduct the inter-island flights with the Speedbird Aero DLV-2 aircraft.

UK’s first drone mail service begins in Orkney UK's first drone mail service begins in Orkney - BBC News

In shocking news, the drones are fully electric… who knew :person_shrugging:

As per everything else with this. It’s weather dependant. So cost efficiency will eventually come into play.
So for how long will islanders be willing to pay a premium for an intermittent service.

It’ll be great service on the 2 days per annum they get without rain :rofl: :rofl:

That’s why the price of a first class stamp is what it is! This is the second drone service from the mainland to Orkney.

Good to see the Royal Mail spending their money wisely!

Moved your post over to a pre-existing thread on Orkney drone mail. :+1: