Drone operator arrested for endangering police helicopter while filming an illegal car race in Northwich

Yea I know the area well as I had to fly in and out few times stopping and filling my belly in the ground feeder at shawbury and definitely not a place to live near with a drone as they come in from all directions at low level miles out.

1 Like

Maybe. If he has the resources/money to fight it and is looking to set case law on the subject, then yes this might be a shot across the CAAā€™s bows along the lines of stop taking the piss. If it looks like he will win, iā€™d reckon the CPS would chicken out and pull their case before a judgement was passed, as it would make prosecutions of other drone pilots in similar situations somewhat more complicated with no guarantees of winning.

Filming an illegal car race, thatā€™s unlikely to be by chance. Nice day for a flight. Oh look, an illegal car race. Might be thinking heā€™s one of the organisers. Theyā€™ll want a result just for that.

As always, we only know what a local advertising revenue grabbing newspaper chooses to tell us.

1 Like

If I was filming cars or anything else car sized on the ground, then I certainly wouldnā€™t be flying that high. 50-100ft would be my choice depending on location. He wouldnā€™t get very good footage from 150m unless it was a larger drone like an Matrice 30.

One thing with that, thereā€™s no such thing as the ā€œhelicopters airspaceā€ or ā€œdrones airspaceā€.
Airspace is a shared resort and ultimately unmanned is obligated to get out of the way of manned in that shared airspace.

Im guessing we donā€™t have the full details because itā€™d be very hard for the police to prove a hazard based purely on the reported observations.

1 Like

He might not have been watching the race or filming it. Could have been surveilling the crowd or participants. It wouldnā€™t surprise me if private security operatives used tech to watch targets. We know the police and security services do so.