Drone petition to review and reduce restrictions

Worth signing… anything to further cause.

9 Likes

Signed :ok_hand::+1:

Done :+1: :+1:

They have been lessened. A2 CofC, open category mini 2 etc

2 Likes

“Currently most operators are required to register and must keep drones or model flyers in direct view.”

As a model flyer why do I have to be kept in direct view. I have a Nurse for that kind of stuff. (I’ll get my coat).

I understand the sentiment behind the petition, being part of the choir, but it lacks substance. This is very much a niche subject and the people you’re petitioning to debate it will not have any working knowledge. A case needs to be developed to demonstrate why the need for a spotter is superfluous and why “FPV BVLOS” adds no further risk to what is currently in place.

3 Likes

Read it, don’t agree with it, won’t be signing it.

As @leeheyes says above, restrictions were (mostly) reduced significantly at the beginning of the year. Nobody is going to look at this again until there’s plenty of evidence as to how well the new regime works, especially the A1 subcategory. And I think there’s zero chance of a call for FPV BVLOS being allowed until there are wider airspace safety improvements (mandatory transponders etc).

5 Likes

I’m also not convinced and won’t be signing this.

Bvlos should be restricted to only those with the relevant training and experience and should not be accessible to the man on the street.

I’m more than happy to take any training required, become competent and acquire adequate insurance to fly in this way - in my opinion, this lowers the risk of unqualified and incompetent pilots causing accidents that put our hobby further under the spotlight

3 Likes

I won’t be signing this, I think the current regulations are good, watch this video until the end then make a decision!

5 Likes

Would be much happier if this was a petition to fly during lockdown. :pensive:

4 Likes

It’s too non-specific to be worthwhile.

2 Likes

Signed

I suppose I am fortunate, as I have only started flying drones, so only know the new regulations. I took the DMARES test just to get my Flyer/Operator IDs, then the A2 CofC, just so that I am legal to fly in the Open A2 subcategory.

What I didn’t realise at the time, is how much I would learn about the regulatory and safety aspects of flying a drone. Granted, some of this could be deemed as ‘common sense’, but my point is … I did not know this before. Because of this, I feel that I can fly more responsibly, whilst reducing the danger to people and property arround me.

My point is, if the new rules weren’t implemented, I wouldn’t have known any of this. And I would undoubtedly add to the ever increasing trend in drone incidents of late. Personally, I think the new rules are fair, and from what I have read and have heard, they actually given us greater freedom in several areas (e.g. Open A1 subcategory) :+1:

Apologies if this sounds like a rant, it honestly isn’t meant to be one :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Airprox…

Bless 'em :blush:

1 Like

No, me neither.

1 Like

Oh dear :worried:

It’s with some interest I noticed in his conclusion that he gave it a tick for ease of use but during the flight he didn’t know what the controls did nor what the telemetry was telling him.

Off the shelf DJI drones and those from other manufacturers do not provide enough information back to the pilot to safely conduct a BVLOS flight. Nor do they have any provision for dealing with the failure of one or more components of the navigation system. If while he was in Sport mode and his compass and GPS decided to go South, which they do, what would he have done then?

I’m not trying to sound elitist but rather as a realist.

2 Likes

Go West?

2 Likes

Worrying to say the least. Wonder if he knows what DMARES stands for.

1 Like

Whilst I would prefer fewer/zero drone flying regulations/restrictions, currently I believe the government has some far more important issues to consider, however correct the decisions from those considerations are proven to have been in retrospect.

It’s people like this that’s going to get us all banned.

1 Like

Sat through the whole video with my mouth open. What a moron.

2 Likes