Drone Related Apps - Recommendations

Closed topic ;o)

2 Likes

Hi @milkmanchris, I’ve looked at this, applied the restricted airspace layer and nothing is displayed on the map.

Thanks for replying so quickly though! :+1:

I think I’m going to go with the NATS app… If anyone is going to bollock me, it’ll be NATS/CAA, so better to use their offering I think.

1 Like

Were you not logged in to Drone Scene at the time @Ned ?

Ah, there you go! Cool, that works, thank you!

At the risk of boring long term forum members to death… Why is this the ‘go to’ site for map data?

Cheers,

Ned

It’s the only map that rolls all the available data sources in to a single place and turns off the drone-irrelevant layers by default.

And it’s GADC’s own :wink:

Sweet! Thank you :+1:

What Chris said. To expand - it’s nde by some very clever guys who are GACD “lifers” and the map data is from impeccable sources - including the NOTAM data so temporary FRZs and other annoyances show immediately. Never used DJI so I have no idea if that is as up yo date.

But the GADC general population has a very important role too. It’s as much a “where to fly” as a “where not to fly” map

Each recommendation has been made by a GADC member. They have flown there and the info they have supplied may well include v=best times to fly, parking, landowner details, nearest cafe/pub and all the useful stuff that other sites don’t give you.

When you discover a place you think is good - share it on the map and remember to give the kind of information that you would have liked to know before you found it!

4 Likes

@macspite just answered that question 100x better than I did :blush:

(thanks :+1:t2:)

3 Likes

Thanks @macspite.

I think there’s a combination of things here.

I totally understand the recommendations re. where I can fly using Drone Scene.

My main doubt was about where I couldn’t fly, and my confusion from various apps saying x,y, and z.

I might not want to fly from any of the recommended points that are highlighted on the Drone Scene map. I might find somewhere new, and if I found somewhere that was worthy of mention, I want to be sure that I’m not doing anything illegal.

Does anyone know how often the data from different sources is aggregated into Drone Scene?

It’s live, real-time.

Every single layer you view is pulled in live, on the fly, from it’s original source, as you move and zoom around the map.

Hence if someone logs a flight with their NATS app, it appears on Drone Scene within about a second. If someone adds a NOTAM we have it in a second or two.

Should the Foreshore and Estuary boundaries ever change, they’ll be with us in a coupe of seconds too.

If someone adds a new electricity pylon to the national grid, a new railway line branch, a new… you get the idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Thank you for all your help. I’ll crack on with my coffee and walnut cake now :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

This is a subject I worry evertime I fly that I would get my collar felt by some organisation or governing body.

I work on an army training camp and know from experience that flying drones over them is difficult to authorise and the list of approved drone manufacturers is very narrow. However when I check any of the apps the only limitations are for an RAF station a few miles up the coast.

I tend to take off from the coast and stay over the beach/ sand dune area.

1 Like

Just wondering if anyone can suggest any apps that’ll make my drone career easier! I’ve got the airmap app that looks decent. Anything else I should be downloading? On Android ideally

Cheers!

Your post was moved to this thread with the same question.

Many such questions are asked frequently, and the answers don’t change, and can usually be found quite easily using the forum’s search.

1 Like

Quick question if someone could help Please.

I thought I would put it in here rather than in its own thread as I think I will be answered pretty quickly.

I understand the basics about the drone code, not flying by airports ect.

But the Nats app has the whole of Liverpool and surrounding areas in red! Does this mean this whole area is a no fly zone? As I could comfortably observe the drone code in alot of the areas highlighted.
Or does it instead mean that there is likely to be alot more air traffic and I should take extra care?

Screenshot_20200719_123915_uk.co.nats.droneassist|233x500

AirMap app has the same area in blue.

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered.

It’s Class D airspace.

Check out the About page on Drone Scene for an explanation, and to see why we have it turned off by default.

1 Like

Link to page in DS.

1 Like