Drones to deliver NHS supplies to Isle of Wight

Wander if i could take control of this drone,when it flies over my house, with my MP2 controller… :wink: :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

Interesting word is ‘drone’, for the general public it conjures up images of something subversive, almost evil, to be feared.
The word ‘multi rotor’ sounds almost friendly, cuddly, not to be particularly feared. I wonder if I was accosted by a member of public about whether I was flying a drone, and replied, ‘no it’s a multi rotor aircraft’ whether they would find the words more acceptable.

3 Likes

That’s my approach :smile:

It changed :smiley:

How’s this for a flight corridor?

Check it out here:

2 Likes

More details here:

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/misc/BRIEFING_SHEET_SOLENT_CORRIDOR.pdf

I got a wee bit baffled as I could see the aircraft oringinated from the old Lee on Solent FAA bas, HMS Daedalus (now renamed Solent Airport) but coukdn’t see either an airfield or an NHS facility on the Isle of Wight end that was within the restricted corridor.

But it turns out that the landing is most likely to be at Binstead airfield - a strip of grass mown slightly shorter than the surrounding grass and with a shed with a small aircraft held in captivity at the northern end. Took me a while searching on Google but found it!

Just came across this on F***book:

1 Like

£28 million? Bloody hell!

2 Likes

Mr R.I.B has got a very valid point.
However as a pilot project it will no doubt have another agenda :thinking:

I wonder how many manned flights you could get for that and more cargo each time :joy::joy::joy: I can see a big brown envelope being passed lmao

1 Like

I sent a reply basically saying that I am an enthusiast for UAVs and finding new uses for them but it seemed ridiculous to ignare a resource already in place - boat operators who could move bigger quantities of freight with proven technology and that they obviously could do with the money as this season’s income is likely to be bugger all.

2 Likes

From CAA SkyWise

From 1 May 2020 through to 31 July 2020, a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) will be operating out of Lee-on-Solent aerodrome to carry out trials and delivery flights to the Isle of Wight for the purposes of a government led COVID-19 response plan.

As it will be operating Beyond Visual Line of Sight and has no detect and avoid capability, a Temporary Danger Area (TDA) has been established between Lee-on-Solent and Binstead aerodromes.

This is the lane leading to our local airfield, which is the green area on the left. It normally has a windsock, but a shed would be luxury! OK for Covid-19 deliveries?

I think that’s quite impressive tbh. 100kg is way more than I imagined… It’s about 10kg more than me… How long before human trials? :rofl:

The Windracers Ultra drone can carry a whopping 100kg for 1000 miles

1,000 miles ??? what is power source for this thing ??

answering my own question… are these two model aircraft IC engines?

I’m guessing you’ve not read all of this thread @Steviegeek :rofl:

1 Like

HAHA probably not, I’ll revisit :smiley:

Thread more like a string :joy::joy: