Early Morning Over Christchurch Castle, Norman House, and Christchurch Priory

@Longstride
Hi Glenn

I am totally open to constructive criticism and advice, so don’t stop dishing it out.

The opening shot wasn’t what I had planned but I couldn’t waste that sunrise, it would have been nice to try flying through window to reveal the sunrise, it may have been a bit risky and also I wouldn’t have got the bird sitting on top of the chimney.

My original intention was to fly up from in the Norman House, I had trouble the lightit was only just getting light so there was not much light in the house but it was much brighter outside so going from one to the other didn’t really work.

Yeah the panning shots were not briliant but it was my first real attempt at it. The DJI app is supposed to be able to do it for you so I need to spend a bit of time working that out. Yeah I get the point about getting a smooth pan, it was there for a bit but then the subject was going out of shot so I tried to correct for that, so I get just letting it go and do another one if you need to.

I totally get the point about cutting the vertical shot over the tower before I drifted off. One big thing I realised is that I kept recording the whole time rather than just recording the clips I wanted, so that is a big lesson for the next time, plus it would make the editing much easier, is that the way you do it? Maybe keeping recording all the time may give some unexpected good clips, not sure.

What did I learn, the panning is an obvious one, try to keep it all smoother, I could certainly have been even more brutal with the cutting. Another thing is to plan even more, this time I planned what I wanted to get but not down to the detail of the clips themselves, panning round things I planned, but other clips were not planned in detail. Even where I took off and landed for the Priory part wasn’t planned, it was a convenient point a bit out of the way. I only saw two or three people during the whole shoot so I probably could have picked a better place to take off from, the front of the tower maybe.

It was certainly the best I have done yet but I think more time planning, go to the site without the drone and work out what you want to get on the SD card. But don’t be so rigid if some other idea comes when you are filming, do it and if it is no good then don’t put it in.

I wasn’t really sure about the music, it was maybe a bit somber, what did you think?

I’m planning on being able to get out and about moreonce I reach official retirement age in about 18 months, thinking to get a caravan so I can go off for a few weeks when I feel like it.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, keep it coming.

1 Like