Earning a little money from time to time - licence required?

Unless I’m reading it wrong I see that if you want to fly a drone commercially (and hence earn a little money) you need an A2 CofC licence.

However, is any kind of licence or ‘special’ registration required if you just occasionally earn a few pounds from a neighbour who asks you to film his land? I’m considering buying a drone (probably a DJI Mini 2) for recreational purposes but if I do end up with one it’s possible that a neighbour, local business, etc will ask me to do some filming for one reason or another, hence this question. Are there any other legal requirements if doing this?

2 Likes

No you do not.

You only need commercial insurance to take on paid work, and make sure you follow all the relevant distances and places you can fly with your given drone.

2 Likes

But if I’m getting paid a small fee by a friend or neighbour to film his property, isn’t that classed as paid work?

The law changed, the rule now is about where you can fly your drone, not why you are flying it. If it’s legal to fly a drone wherever you need to then you can fly it. If you’re being paid to fly it then you need commercial insurance.

2 Likes

That’s what I said :wink:

As in you dont need a licence , just insurance

2 Likes

Sorry, misunderstood. :slight_smile:

So commercial insurance is required (as opposed to simple public liability insurance).

Commercial insurance can be bought for the very short term - by the day if necessary

This can be done via an app on your phone as well as by phone or web

Other insurers are available

1 Like

That is correct

1 Like

Thanks all, some excellent advice as usual.

1 Like