EASA and the UK!

They’ll keep making them I’m sure

As for people making any (serious) money, I’m yet to find one of those

2 Likes

EASA has published the first view worldwide on the use and control of drones in an urban environment, balancing the desire to maximise the commercial and convenience benefits of drones against the need to ensure the safety and privacy of citizens and the potential environmental impact on cities.

Link to news article.

Link to EASA Opinion No 01/2020

The objective of this Opinion is to create and harmonise the necessary conditions for manned and unmanned
aircraft to operate safely in the U-space airspace, to prevent collisions between aircraft and to mitigate the air and ground risks. Therefore, the U-space regulatory framework, supported by clear and simple rules, should permit safe aircraft operations in all areas and for all types of unmanned operations.
This Opinion proposes an effective and enforceable regulatory framework to support and enable operational, technical and business developments, and provide fair access to all airspace users, so that the market can drive the delivery of the U-space services to cater for airspace users’ needs.
This Opinion is, therefore, a first regulatory step to allow immediate implementation of the U-space after the entry into force of the Regulation and to let the unmanned aircraft systems and U-space technologies evolve.

As we see the increasing development of UAM (Air Taxis) the need for strict UTM (the management of unmanned systems) will be necessary to improve the safety of the shared airspace. This will include drone operations.

Will this affect drone operations in the UK? Currently the UK will adopt EASA rules in July, however the UK is also in the transition period for Brexit. We can only wait and see what the CAA propose come the end of 2020 and in to January 2021. The UK CAA have expressed an interest in the future of UAM and UTM in UK airspace.

Latest regarding EASA changes on July 1st.

Intention to delay introduction of new EASA regulations

We are working closely with the Government and European colleagues to delay the applicability of the forthcoming EU UAS Implementing Regulation to beyond the original 1 July 2020. The length of this delay is being finalised but will be at least a number of months.

We have already incorporated several amendments to the EU UAS Implementing Regulation into an updated edition of CAP 1789 ‘The EU UAS Regulation Package – Outline.’ We will publish this at the appropriate time and when the applicability dates can be included.

We absolutely commit to informing the community as soon as we have any new information on timescales for introduction so please assume this remains the current information until we advise otherwise.

Link provided below.

https://mailchi.mp/477da7bfa2ef/drone-registration-update-910769?e=d0cc0e0c98

2 Likes

Do we fly EASA this summer or remain as we are until its replacement is announced? Anyone got any clues? Maybe we fly EASA during the transition period.

No John. We stay inside, noses pressed to the window, staring at the blue, windless skies …

On the plus side, if we do sneak out, there are far fewer people to object to any self-inspired relaxation of the drone code we might indulge in :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Further update on the postponement of the EASA regulations for UAS:

https://mailchi.mp/828e6e0ddf74/drone-registration-update-910853?e=3348daa8fd

Because of the ongoing disruption caused by the COVID19 outbreak, it has been decided that we will postpone the introduction of the new EU UAS Regulations within the UK by a period of at least four months. As a result, any person involved in the operation of UAS within the UK will not be required to comply with the new requirements of Regulation (EU) 2019/947 (known as the Implementing Regulation – IR) before 1 November 2020.

2 Likes

Many thanks for that

Did you get the update via skywise? I’ve just seen the update via third party but nothing from CAA even though I’m subscribed to the UAS list

1 Like

My email came through at 09:34 this morning if that helps at all

2 Likes

Email from CAA this morning.

1 Like

Me too 9.35

Just got the update, new version of CAP1789 now released.

The CAA has published an updated version of CAP 1789 which provides updated guidance based on revised information and policy developments that have been provided since its original publication in June 2019.

It provides a simple explanation of the general intent behind the regulations and also includes a section which aims to answer some of the most common questions and misunderstandings that the CAA has received.

The implementation of the new regulations within the UK has now been postponed until 1 November 2020 at the earliest.

SW2020/090

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9135

2 Likes

Do I read this rght? "All UAS must be fitted with active remote ident system from 1st Jan 2022?

3 Likes

Lets hope a portable device will be made available to be fitted to our drones before then !.
If each drone has to have a unique identification then could be an expensive year for me !.

2 Likes

Yes, feels like that deserves a bit more attention!

Another non policable thing to throw at us

6 Likes

Don’t most DJI drones have this now anyway?

2 Likes

Really?

Yes, even the old Mavic Pro on modern firmware.

More here: Anatomy of DJI Drone ID Implementation (re: AeroScope)

So conclusion is then…?

Any drone without airsafe is going to be a toy/plaything after 2022?

So I suppose the next question is - which drones already have Airsafe?

The whole idea of broadcasting data and flights etc is small fry compared to what already gets broadcasted from a smart phone.

The whole Information Super Highway has been hacked since that Slimey thing called Mark Zuckerberg got his greasy little mitts into people’s brains!

Did anyone see The Great Hack? Explains how people’s minds, their ‘Forum internum’ Has been manipulated using the 5000 data points they have on every single user of Facebook and how that data can control what decisions you make - things like voting for mass suicide aka Brexit - lol…

All done using semiotics and addiction.

1 Like