Expected analogue FPV range

That is looking a lot better :+1:t2: although like you say not perfect.

Check that the antenna connector that goes into the vtx is a snug fit and doesn’t wobble. I had that problem with an antenna that plugged straight in. Range was awful.

1 Like

I think I speak for all whom have added their knowledge to this thread that it is our pleasure to help. We are not born with this knowledge but rather we were all at one time in a similar situation and someone helped us. This is us “Paying It Forward”. How else do we evolve?

3 Likes

Now that’s more like it… 450m out, 50m up. :ok_hand:

Up to 250m-300m it’s nice and solid, starts to get a bit more static-y further out than that. I started to hit the range of the RX beyond this distance too (at one point the GPS rescue actually kicked in as intended and steered it safely homewards!)

So much happier to just to be able to get out and fly it. :sunglasses:

Don’t expect anything much (!) but some GoPro footage here…

https://youtu.be/Z6BP9IwFiDc

1 Like

So was it the VTX in the end?

Your next upgrade should be Crossfire click the word crossfire and it will take you to the upgrade kit i picked up it will fit your TX16S as that’s the radio that I fly with and it comes with 3x nano RX’s I ditched my XM+ after only one flight and swapped it out for Crossfire and I must admit I haven’t had any RSSI warnings since the link quality is awesome your VTX will give up before you failsafe lol

My GPS unit was delivered today and @notveryprettyboy is kindly 3D printing me a nice mount for it so I’ll be installing that on my Nazgul5 shortly :ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Overall I think the biggest major issue was the VTX, which I’m fairly certain was duff from the start (iFlight are sending a replacement) There was still a fair bit of noise even with a new VTX, that flight was only on 1/2 power so I can still crank it up a lot more if it’s called for. I’ve also taken the camera power off the FC and am running it from the filtered power pins on the new VTX. I also added a ground plane between the FC and ESC boards, this also put more distance between the two. All of that lot, plus upgraded antennas and the difference is night and day. Was soooo happy zooming about today.

Definitely been eyeing up the TBS Crossfire stuff - some of their long range vids are just :heart_eyes:

Hopefully be some decent enough weather over the holidays - last day of work tomorrow then 2 weeks off. :partying_face:

1 Like

Glad its sorted mate, it’s a shame you’ve had to do all that as mine was spot on right out the box. It is a really good quad for a BNF. Installing Crossfire was easy enough. I’m not really fussed about the long range capability it’s more that stable link and penetration power that got me :ok_hand:t2:

I’m looking forward to getting GPS on it mainly for the distance, speed and the little arrow that shows you where home is lol I keep struggling to locate myself once I’ve been flying for a couple of minutes then panic starts to set in lol especially when flying a new location that little arrow will be perfect :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, not really impressed I had to do all the fannying around tbh but v. glad it’s sorted. I know what you mean about not being able to find home. I also wish I’d had the GPS for the v. first flights, one of which where it blanked at 100-150m out, I saw one brief flash of the horizon at 45 degrees before the image disappeared completely. Then spent the next 45mins looking for the quad until a nice dog walker brought it back to me!

1 Like

That’s unusual dog walkers usually shout at us :joy: and make out that we’re doing something illegal.

:sweat_smile:
I said to ‘Karen’ at Hawkesbury “It’s not illegal” when she was ranting at me.
She came back with “but it’s not legal either”

Can’t win with some people :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’d of asked her to call the old bill and get her in shit for wasting police time :ok_hand:t2: :joy:

@DaveJaVu I said I’d try and get some DVR from my Nazgul5 V2 using the stock VTX and stock Antenna and the power cranked up to 800mw it has Zero breakup at a range of about 300ish meters out.

https://youtu.be/LGIWG9uuwkU

Even around the tree the feed is near perfect. And also it looks even better in the goggles DVR is always lower quality and then the YouTube compression on top makes it look a hell of a lot worse than it actually is in the goggles. But its absolutely nowhere close to the breakup that you have been experiencing.

1 Like

Cheers chap… yeah - that’s a country mile better than mine. Even after all the fixes I’ve tried. This… sucks. :worried:

So I’m really not sure what to try. The TBS Crossfire stuff is a hefty investment (mind you the amount I’ve spent on this damn thing already!.. :grimacing:)

I still don’t know if the interference I have is due to RX interference or something else. I’m not too fussed at going massively further distance, I just want a clean stable feed.

Was there any difference in your feed with the XM+ versus the Crossfire?

Cheers.

1 Like

Nope exactly the same clean feed on the XM+ and my antenna configuration was the same as yours with the 2 antenna tubes sticking out of the 3D printed mount right next to the VTX antenna and mine was still clean. Which is why I was so surprised to see the issues you was having. Crossfire is great as you haven’t got to worry about failsafes at all, unless you’re doing silly ranges :+1:t2:

My observations of your last video.

Noise.

The fluttering you are seeing, especially in the sky, I think is more than likely due to the lighting conditions. The Sun is low in the sky and the light is passing through your props. The majority of FPV cameras use an electronic rolling shutter which is picking up the shadows of the rotating props which present as fluttering in the field of view.

The Static crashes.

Again not a symptom of the VTX but possibly the switching of the receiver’s diversity function. Not all diversity receivers are made equal and on cheaper systems the switching can cause a very brief break in reception. The Eachine Pro58 module I’m currently using on my goggles (the cheapest diversity module money can buy) was prone to this on its stock firmware. Thankfully even though the module is cheap it’s using some advanced hardware and some clever peeps on RCGroups wrote new firmware for it which, amongst other things, vastly improved the diversity switching. Most of the cheaper FPV goggle systems are still using older and slower Atmel 8bit processors where as the newer and generally pricier solutions are now using STM32 processors.

If you’re still using your gogglebox and it’s internal receiver you could try using an outboard receiver. Again the Eachine Pro58 module (I paid £18 from Banggood’s UK Warehouse) is a cheap solution. There are some YT tutorials on how to wire it into box goggles or use as a standalone receiver. There are also two alternative firmwares available. One is opensource and called Pirx. Details are available on unmannedtech’s blog.

The other is called Achilles which is €11 for the license.

Unfortunately the FW conversion is not plug and play and you will need to use a ST-Link programming dongle and some intricate soldering to do the upgrade. Alternatively there is a Realacc RX5808 receiver that can be similarly upgraded and has an onboard USB port for this process. They do cost a bit more.

People often query the high cost of FPV goggles. The primary reason is that there is a limited audience for such products, but also the stereo screens are not cheap to buy, nor are the optics cheap to manufacture for a wide range of differing eyesights.

1 Like

800 mW on a Matek vtx, I got 5km this morning (and wasn’t at its limit).
I’m on a TrueRC 5.8GHz Axii Long Antenna

1 Like

It’s a lot about the antenna isn’t it :+1:

For those in the know, is there much difference in the reception quality of the Fat Shark Recon box googles vs the Scout?

The only thing left in the equation is the goggles… but I’m not convinced tbh as I’ve used these exact goggles on fixed wing with zero issues.

The scout has Diversity built in, it has a detachable omni antenna and a built in patch antenna. I use the Scouts and that’s what the DVR was recorded on that I posted. It’s a premium box goggle. As where the recon V3 uses a single 5.8g dipole antenna and is more of a budget goggle but both goggles support DVR. I’ve never looked through the recons so I can’t really comment but my Scouts are a fantastic goggle and come with nice case for storage.

Hope this helps :+1:t2:

Be wary of how your head is positioned. The mushroom antennas have a null point at the top and bottom. I tend to drop my head when flying, which is not the best position.

1 Like