Failsafe? Straight up?

Yes. I might try that. I’d need to find a carbon rod… :slight_smile: This next one is already printing, so the next one after that, lol

I just found the LOS video we took of the flight… The “runaway” as I @notveryprettyboy called it is right at the end.

So something like this:

or

Tube or rod though…

Any half decent model shop will have it in various lengths/thicknesses its one of the most standard modelling supplies going

tube or rod depends on the thickness really, probably a rod for you, if its wider diameter for something like a wing spar you would get a tube to save on weight.

I wonder once carbon rod is in there whether the struts can be dispensed with. hmmm…

depends, struts will stop flexing at the root rather than along the length, if possible id make sure the rods go all the way through the arm into the baseplate then you shouldnt need struts.

Yes I was thinking of doing that

You could just use a longer rod than you need and drill a hole into the baseplate then it works as a handy locating pin at the same time.

The whole thing prints as a single piece already… well the base anyway.

I am thinking of ordering some 3mmx1mm carbon strip. Could try adding that to this print.

Id get rods over strips if you can strips tend to have a bit of flex in them so may not help as much as a rod, you want it to be as rigid as possible really.

Yes rods is what I need really. I just wondered about gluing the strips on this print. But thinking about it, it’s probably pointless.

It would add some rigidity but i dont think it would be enough to be worth it really.

Try pid toolbox. It’s good for looking for gyro noise (runaway) and d-term noise (hot motors)… generally.

Well it’s back working again. New frame, etc… so that sounds like something to do

Thanks for all for your help.

The 3d print frame experiments will continue.

However I just bought an armattan gecko 3" second hand so I can get a better idea what things should be like and also have something I can bash around a bando without too many worries.

I’ve also been given a 5" frame and motors to start another build.